Charles
Charles , Engineering Contractor
Experience:  20+ years in most phases of construction
26609390

Is it wise to install new felt and shingles over an existing

Is it wise to install new felt and shingles over an existing composition roof? The roof is a 4/12 pitch. The deck is 1 x 6 tongue and groove pine. The roof is approx. 50 years old.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Charles replied 3 years ago.

Charles : Hello, and thanks for your question! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to assist you today!!
Charles : As long as the old roof is not falling apart then yes, you can do that
Charles : But if the old roofing is falling apart then you should remove it
Customer:

Does 'FALLING APART' mean that the shingles are hard and brittle? For instance, a nail will crack the shingles instead of drive through.

Charles :

Yes, that is exactly what I mean

Charles :

Because if you do install the new over the old and the old ones crack and fall apart, they will crumble away and then leave a gap between the new and old materials.

Charles :

then the next time you get up to walk on the roof, the nails will poke through the new materials creating leaks.

Charles :

And the wind will also be able to get under the roof and tear off the new materials

Charles :

Hello again