Brian
Brian , Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I have a question about my garage door opener. If I hold the

Customer Question

I have a question about my garage door opener. If I hold the button on the wall the entire time, it will close, but when I push the remote, it only closes 1/2 way, bounces back up and flashes 10 times. Help. I've checked to make sure that the wall unit isn't on lock.....just can't figure out why the remote and the programmed van button won't close the unit.

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Brian replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is Brian and I will be helping you today.

Sorry to hear about your problem.

This is a problem with the safety sensors; either due to a blocked path between the safety sensors, condensation, dirty eyes, loose wires at the sensors or at the motor head, or just misaligned or bad safety sensors. When the invisible beam path is obstructed or misaligned while the door is closing, the door will reverse. If the door is already open, it will not close. The opener lights will flash 10 times.

The remotes will not work to close the garage door; they can only open it. When this happens, your garage door will only close by holding down on the wall button until the door fully closes. This method is the only way to override the safety sensors and close the door and it is also a direct clue that the sensors are the problem.

To correct the problem, you need green indicator lights in both the sending and receiving eyes and they will glow steadily if wiring connections and alignment are correct. The sending eye indicator light will glow regardless of alignment or obstruction. If the indicator light is off, dim or flickering in the receiving eye (and the invisible light beam path is not obstructed), alignment is required.
  • Loosen the sending eye wing nut and re-adjust, aiming directly at the receiving eye. Lock in place.

• Loosen the receiving eye wing nut and adjust sensor vertically and/ or horizontally until it receives the sender's beam. When the green indicator light glows steadily, tighten the wing nut.

1. If the sending eye indicator light does not glow steadily check for:
  • Electric power to the opener.
  • A short in the white or white/black wires. These can occur under staples or at screw terminal connections.
  • Incorrect wiring between sensors and opener.
  • An open wire (wire break).
2. If the sending eye indicator light glows steadily but the receiving eye indicator light doesn't:
  • Check alignment.
  • Check for an open wire to the receiving eye.
3. If the receiving eye indicator light is dim, realign either sensor.

If you need further help or clarification on this answer, please do not hesitate to reply to this post.

Thanks for asking your question.
Best of Luck, Brian

If you are satisfied with this answer please leave me a positive rating at your convenience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where would I locate the sending/receiving eye wingnut? That's where I'm getting lost. Thank you!
Expert:  Brian replied 3 years ago.
The sensors are located near the floor, near the track that the door rides on. Most sensors have a wingnut for adjusting or something similar.
Expert:  Brian replied 3 years ago.
How did you make out?