Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.

Hi, I want to make a addition but my backyard has narrow entry

Customer Question

Hi, I want to make a addition but my backyard has narrow entry points that make it hard to get a truck back there. What to do?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue

Is you concern getting a concrete truck back there to pour the foundation?

Customer:

Yes sir.

Rick :

Then your best bet perhaps your only option is to pump the concrete from a point where the trucks can get in to the new foundation. Pumping concrete is fairly routine and is done on many job sites with accessibility issues

Customer:

Can you please clarify what you mean by "a point where the trucks can get in to a new foundation"? I'm not sure they can come closer than the front of the house. Also don't they need access to dig/haul away the dirt?

Rick :

You can pump concrete quite a ways. If you need to do some excavating you'll have to at least have access for a backhoe. It will be more time consuming but the backhoe can bucket the excavated material out to the dump truck. Of course it would be better if the dump truck can get back to where the backhoe is working. If you don't plan on a full basement then there won't be much material to haul away

Customer:

How wide are the backhoes? Also are these methods that we detailed more expensive?

Rick :

I don't know off hand how wide a backhoe is but it's significantly narrower than a dump truck

Rick :

Yes these methods are more expensive but if you can't create the necessary access then they are your only option

Customer:

Also how hard is it to reconfigure the layout of a first floor? My current floorplan is not the way I want it. Are there any walls that are absolutely impossible to move?

Rick :

Anything is possible the question is the cost. Load bearing walls can be replaced with a beam

Rick :

My screen shows you as typing for quite a while are you still there or do we have a glitch

Customer:

Are we talking double or just more than regular?

Rick :

Regarding what? the access issues?

Customer:

the price regarding the access issues is it double the price or just more expensive? Also how hard is it to reconfigure the layout of a first floor? My current floorplan is not the way I want it. Are there any walls that are absolutely impossible to move?

Rick :

If you aren't planning a full basement (where a lot of material would have to be hauled away) you're probably talking about 20% more expensive. With a full basement the cost could run 30% to 50% higher than if you had full access. Generally speaking any wall can be moved/removed. If it's a load bearing wall then it will cost considerably more than a wall that's not load bearing.

Customer:

well I would like to have a full basement but its probably 50 to 60% dug out already. But basically any wall can be moved it's just a matter of price, correct?

Rick :

Yes just about any wall can be moved it's just a matter of cost. I'm not saying every wall because there is always an exception to the rule but I've never seen one that couldn't be moved

Customer:

How would you describe the difference in price between moving a regular wall vs a load bearing wall?

Rick :

It depends on the situation. Lets assume there is no wiring or plumbing that needs to be re-routed

Customer:

Ok....

Rick :

In that case it can cost 4 or 5 times as much to removed a load bearing wall. With a non-load bearing wall all you have to to is knock it down. With a load bearing wall you have to put a beam back to support the ldad the wall was holding up

Rick :

sorry for the typo

Rick :

the end of the last sentence should say> support the LOAD

Rick :

the wall was holding up

Customer:

Got it. Suppose I was having a general contractor do all this work for me. Do they generally view these as individual jobs and price accordingly, or do they roll it into a bigger cost?

Rick :

You can ask the contractor to break down the pricing of the job so you can decide which options to include

Rick :

No contractor will itemize an estimate but they will give prices for different aspects of the job as options

Customer:

Great. Above you mentioned that "If you aren't planning a full basement (where a lot of material would have to be hauled away) you're probably talking about 20% more expensive. With a full basement the cost could run 30% to 50% higher than if you had full access." I just need a little clarification. When you said "a full basement" did you mean on the new addition or the whole house? Basically, even after my addition I still will have a basement under around 50-60% of the house. Will I fall in the 20% category or the 30-50% category?

Rick :

I'm talking about the addition. If you just have a crawl space under the addition then the only dirt that needs to be removed is the dirt that's actually displaced by the foundation walls. If you have to dig out everything inside the foundation, well that's a lot more dirt to move

Customer:

How much would you estimate (ballpark obviously) it would cost for digging out around(NNN) NNN-NNNNSq ft?

Rick :

I have no idea what costs are like in your area and the only way to give you a meaningful number would be to look at the job

Customer:

Give me the highest number you could imagine.

Rick :

I need cubic feet not sq ft.

Rick :

is the lot flat or does it slope away from the house?

Customer:

10,000 cubic feet. And the lot is more or less flat.

Rick :

Around here (suburban Boston) it would cost ~$6-8,000 to excavate and remove this much soil assuming there are no large boulders that would have to be broken up and the hole was accessible. If you had to bucket that much soil out I'd say $10-12,000 is quite possible

Customer:

Aha. So to make a foundation and get the water and electric running with some basic finishing through would run another 30-35K or so?

Customer:

I live in Cleveland by the way, not sure if that matters.

Rick :

Yes where you live matters a lot and I'm not comfortable pulling numbers out of thin air with no plans or description to go by. Very general numbers around here finished addition costs run $150 per sq ft. you can get those numbers down a bit and of course the sky is the limit. It's my understanding that costs in the mid west are a bit less

Customer:

Ok great. Rick you've been a great help. Have a great day.

Rick :

You too!

Rick, General Contractor
Experience: Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.