Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

unable to reprogram the hand held garage door remote, and a

unable to reprogram the hand held garage door remote, and a new craftsman wireless keyless entry pad
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.

I have seen this happen several times when a new device, that is not compatible, is introduced to the mix. Try erasing all codes and programming the handheld remote only. I have a feeling that the keyless pad you bought is not compatible with your opener.

If you are satisfied with this answer please leave me a positive rating at your convenience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have already tried that. The fact that I can't even get the original hand held remote to 'pair' or program with the overhead garage door opener has me befuddled.

I push the green smart button, the LED light turns on, I press and hold the hand held remote button, the light turns on, yet will not "flash" once it has presumably learned the 'code'

This make me wonder if the 'mother board' of the garage door opener is the problem?

Well if you have ruled out a bad remote or a non compatible remote....the only remaining thing is a bad logic board. Unfortunately they average $70 for a new one. I recommend putting that money towards a new opener if the opener is older than 10 years.