Joan
Joan , Handywoman
Experience:  Home Owner for over 30 years
5071285

Is there any effective way to discourage snakes from around

Is there any effective way to discourage snakes from around your home/property. Particularly Copperheads. I have looked on the internet and seen several claims of either chemicals/powders or even electronic vibration technology. Thanks!
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Martin replied 3 years ago.
Hello. The only effective way is physical removal and relocation of the snake (with a trap).

You can remove heat mass that keep heat far into the night (like flat rocks or concrete surfaces).

You can remove night light that can bring them food like insects (or lizard that they like and eat insects).

You can remove any shelter they may like (they need shadow from time to time to regulate their temperature). This include any mammals burrow.

Remove humid any area that can bring frogs. They are not as intelligent as us, so they think a pool or a spa will feed them.

If you have the type of weed that produce grain, you may have mice and it will then bring the snakes.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the quick response. I agree with all you said. We live in the country and trapping snakes is not really an option. There are several product claims that say they deter snakes from certain areas (ie. home/yard/flowerbeds). Are all of these products bogus?

Expert:  Martin replied 3 years ago.
They might help, but i would not call them practical for anything else than protecting the area around a garage door for example. I know they can irritate the skin of a snake (some bird make symbiosis with trees that product toxic resin and latex that cause climbing snake to prefer dropping to the ground than continue to the nest).

Another way would be to fence the whole area, making sure they can't get in from a nearby bush or anything helping it to get higher.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the information Martin and the effort. I would ask that you opt out of the question to see if someone has actual experience/credentials in snake behavior and possibly have some data on the various claims? I have found lots of opinions on all you have mentioned. I can't find any study or data for any of it. In the meantime I'll keep the area cleared and the shotgun at the ready. Thanks again for your assistance!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Martin. Please see my last email asking you to opt out of the question. I really need someone with extensive experience in this area (if there is anyone). I really do appreciate the effort and timeliness of the responses. This is just a tough issue that would require some extensive experience/study or data on the various products.

I've had Home Depot send me in one direction, Well meaning neighbors in another and Tractor Supply in another. ( I'm into those things for around $100 so far). Not to mention the back and forth on the internet regarding traps, chemicals, fences and other things. I have found all with testimonials strongly for and strongly against. Any of the options (if there are any) are going to run at least $200 to $1000.

I really do appreciate you taking a swing at this one. Thanks and have a great week!!!

Randy

Expert:  Joan replied 3 years ago.

Hello Randy,

I am a Vet Tech with special interest in Reptiles and Reptile Rescue. To be honest with you the repellents are the same chemicals found in Mothballs they are not very effective. The problem is if you use the mothballs or chemicals, it is toxic to wildlife an pets. The traps work to a certain extent, but are very pricey and once the snake is trapped, then you have to dispose of the snake in the trap.

As mentioned before the snakes will be looking for small prey items and that is what draws them in. Make sure you have a good boundry cleared around the immediate area that would be hiding places for rats squirrels etc.that a copperhead would hunt.

Short of havng a trapper come out and try and remove the snakes, there is no real repellent or trap that will guarantee to keep the snakes away. As you mentioned, I would keep the shotgun handy. I have worked with many people asking the same question, and I try to be as honest as possible and do not want to see you waste your money. Joan

Joan, Handywoman
Experience: Home Owner for over 30 years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Joan! You have confirmed what I was suspecting. I appreciate the help! Have a great week!!!!

Randy

Expert:  Joan replied 3 years ago.

Hi Randy,

I wanted to be honest. I see so much money thrown away on worthless products. You are trying to keep a snake away that has a vast area to roam, and the shotgun is thhe best way if you see one. Hope all works out. Joan

Joan, Handywoman
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Joan! Have a great week!!!!!!!!!!!