Rich
Rich, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 35 years construction and home maintenance experience
5098113

"I have plans for the construction of a 24-foot square A-frame

"I have plans for the construction of a 24-foot square A-frame cabin. I want to build this in two stages, namely, a foundation and deck first, and then the rest later. Maybe I will stop at the deck stage and not continue to the final stage. I want that option"
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rich replied 1 year ago.

Rich :

Hello .. please a few questions about yiour plans

Rich :

do you plan to have a basement ? are you going to be doing all the carpentry, electric and plumbing yourself?

Rich :

have you thought about getting permits

Rich :

oopsy just looked back at your post you are in Japan ,., do you know what they require for occupancy

Rich :

??

Customer:

No basement, will probably be leveling the site this summer and setting up pre-formed concrete footings. I want to build the deck portion myself and then hire a carpenter if I decide to complete the cabin. Likewise, electrical and plumbing work will be done by a professional. And yes I know I have to get a permit first.

Rich :

OK .. without a basement , and wanting to have the option of completeing a house on top of the deck sometime in the future

Customer:

yeah thats the idea

Customer:

or probably the wall-roof will be formed "around the deck" rather than on top of it

Rich :

you would want to have all the rough electric and plumbing in place before you finish the deck ...

Rich :

hmm .. consider on top because that is where your foundation is supporting the structure

Rich :

if the wall was outside the deck there would be big issue with them settling unevenly

Customer:

you mean the walls and the deck settling unevenly

Rich :

also consider the time that your permits allow for construction of the house on this foundation / deck .. sometimes there are limits for completion

Customer:

then is it feasible to anchor the wall-roof directly to the deck?

Rich :

yes the walls and deck would have definitely different loads and may settle differently

Customer:

good point, although the inspector assured (or suggested) that might not be a problem (since I am returning home every summer to do a little work) so I would expect the job to drag on for a little while

Rich :

easier iof the walls are on top of the deck ,, not so certain a good cohesive structure if walls are beside the deck

Rich :

but should be aware of the permit time limitations .. I hate nasty surprises

Customer:

if it's not finished in time would they actually tell me to tear it down? grrrrr

Customer:

but there is not "structural" reason why building a deck first and then building an A-frame on top of that is not feasible?

Rich :

if the foundation walls, edges are thick enough maybe you could share the top iof the foundation .. leaving 4 inches of the foundation outside of your deck to rest the stud wall on

Customer:

I could apply for a permit to build a deck, and then later, upon completion, apply for a permit to build a cabin on top of it

Customer:

dumb idea?

Rich :

I do not know about what ight happen .. worst case would be iof you did nothing buit the deck and stopped there for an extended time ... usually not a problem here in states if there is visible ongoing construction ..

Customer:

I will be building in Canada, probably similar regulations

Rich :

yes you could ap[ply for deck only but might have to get rough inspections on plumbing and electric before closing the deck

Customer:

a deck with plumbing and electrical fixtures

Rich :

OK .. Canada has similar rules .. but you should always research them because of local differences ..

Customer:

yeah, an ounce of research...

Rich :

well yes if there is no basement then the pipes, water and waste need to be underground ... before the deck is placed

Rich :

the electric can be added above no problem

Customer:

good point

Rich :

but y9ou might want a tempoprary construction power for the construction phase

Rich :

like a service mounted on a post and metered there

Customer:

not a problem its in the back of a property with a house on it anyway

Rich :

so deciding about the final; outcome may have a bearing on what goes under the deck .. plumbing if future house is your goal .. or nothing if you are definitely decided to stop at the deck

Rich :

OK .. so a new thought .. have you researched splitting the property and what about access to the new house .. might want to give to kids or sell in the future ??

Customer:

right, okay. So proceeding with a deck first instead of integrating it into the entire construction frame from the get go is not necessarily an impractical approach

Customer:

no, property splitting is out of the question, this will really only be a "studio" type of cabin at the back of the property, building regs specify no cooking facilities, no shower, but one sink and one toilet okay

Customer:

its considered an "accessory" building or something like that

Rich :

no not impractical .. just needs a solid goal maybe .. and some extra planning

Customer:

okay, thanks. Will this dialogue be saved and sent to my email address?

Rich :

OK .. no sleeping rooms?

Customer:

it will have a loft at the back, there should be a nice view tho, be a nice place to relax and "chill out"

Rich :

yes ,, or highlight and paste in email to yourself as a back up plan

Rich :

right .. sounds like a fun project ..

Customer:

thank you, XXXXX XXXXX been helpful, in other words, some careful planning notwithstanding, it is one possible approach

Customer:

cheers

Rich :

yes very workable plan

Customer:

thanks I hope I didnt take up too much of your time

Customer:

I will rate your answer "good"

Rich :

no .. that is what we are here for .. getting you information and helping you get started

Rich :

Thanks

Rich, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience: Over 35 years construction and home maintenance experience