Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have Lakehouse with plywood subfloor and parquet oak flooring

I have Lakehouse with plywood subfloor and parquet oak flooring (kitchen) and carpet (dining area) that I want to replace with vinyl tile. Needs to be able to sustain wide temperature span - house is closed in winter and freezes, open in summer with 95 degree heat. I plan to remove the carpet and parquet flooring. Should I use 1/8" Luaun plywood overlay of subfloor before laying the vinyl flooring?

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue

Rick :

Don't use luan. It is notorious for delamination failures. There are other plywood options that are made specifically for underlayment for vinyl and they come with a delamination warranty. You should use 1/4" minimum. I don't know what's available in your area so specing a specific product probably won't be much help

Customer:

Thank you - Do you think 1/4" will prevent buckling?

Rick :

It won't buckle if you nail it off properly and it doesn't get soaked. Proper nailing is 6 to 8" apart in the field and 3 to 4" along the edge. IntegraPLY is what we use and I see it's also available at Menards which is in an entirely different part of the country

Rick :

The Integra PLY even have X's printed on the sheet where you should nail (ring shank nails or screws)

Customer:

Great - sounds like a trip to Menards is in order.