The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

I want to build a 12x20 lean to on the back of pole barn. Where

I want to build a 12x20 lean to on the back of pole barn. Where can I get plans?

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer.

If you would please answer these questions I can draw the plans for you.

Will the leanto be open or enclosed?

Will it attach to the pole barn or be free standing?

Any particular pitch to the roof?

Are you in heavy snow country?

Does it need to be insulated?

Will there be any electrical, or other services going to it?

What type of roofing material?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Open for now with the option of enclosing later.

Attached to barn

Standard pitch for Michigan.

Sometimes we get heavy snow.

No insulation needed.

No electric.

I was kind of thinking metal roofing.

Also how to tie the roof into the siding on the barn.

What kind of siding is on the barn? Corrogated steel or ???
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I believe its the corrugated steel. I've seen the same style roofing as the siding. Its not the corrugated siding that looks like the inner part of cardboard.

Ron the corrogated steel Im thinking about is the same stuff that looks like the inside of a cardboard box.

Click here to see what I am referring to .

If it is different than this I will need to know exactly what type of siding it is to advise you how to seal it to the leanto.

.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just got on Lowe's web site and the siding looks just like the roofing panels described as Fabral 96 in.29 gauge plain ribbed roof panel

EWWW!! If it had been regular corrogated it would be easy to seal. They actually make components for that. In this case the only way to seal it to the siding is to custom cut the sheets that will adjoin them, or use a torch down type roofing sealer.

But anyways that can be handled once the structure is built.

One last question. Do you want to use regular lumber to build it or metal stud framing. They cost about the same but you will need some specialized tools for the metal stud framing.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Regular lumber

Okay. I will start on the plans tonight. Should have them done by tomorrow afternoon.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am requesting a refund of the tip I gave due to my request was not fulfilled.

I am sorry for the delay. I fell off of a ladder the other day and have been laid up in bed.

I am working on th eplans as my injurys will allow. It is difficult to sit in my office chair for very long.

Please be patient and I will finish them as soon as possible.

Best, Smitty

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Thanks for letting me know the reason for the delay. I was upset after reading the massage that my question couldn't be answered but now at least I understand the delay.

Thank you, Ron.

I dont understand what you mean by the question couldnt be answered? Did you receive a notice telling you that? If you did is there any chance you can send a screen shot of that page?

To do a screen shot press ctl and 'print screen' buttons together. Open up your MS paint program and under edit select paste. Save it to your desktop and you can then up load it to http://tinypic.com Copy the last link in the list they give you and post it here.

Thanks, Smitty

P.S. I should have your plans finished tonight if I can stay in my chair long enough.

Ron here is the first part of the plans. More to follow.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm having problems forwarding that message. I did print it and can mail it to you if you send me your address

Sorry Ron. Its against the experts TOS to communicate with customers off of the site.

What format is the file in? .jpg, .doc, .docx, etc.?

If you did the screen shot you need to save it as a .jpg. That is the easiest type of file format to work with for pictures.

If you saved it as a .doc, or .docx you can upload that type of file to http://mediafire.com.

Ill have the foundation plans done tonight.

Here are the foundation plans.

graphic