Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

We are considering purchasing a home that was built in 1978.

We are considering purchasing a home that was built in 1978. Our one reservation is that the house is constructed of wood as opposed to block which the majority of houses are constructed of in central Florida. I have told to a couple of contractors who say that there is nothing wrong with wood construction in Florida. But my concern is with the long term stability of wood construction and termites in Florida. Can you give me your opinion on if our concerns are valid. Thank you for your response.

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue

Customer:

thank you

Rick :

There is indeed nothing wrong with wood construction in Florida but if the wood isn't pressure treated you would be well advised to have an annual even semi-annual termite inspection

Rick :

There are many old wood framed house still in good shape where you live. I wouldn't let the wood construction stop you from buying the house if you like the house

Customer:

How long can pressure treated wood last as far as durability

Rick :

It can last hundreds of years. Certainly longer than either of us will be around

Customer:

thank you for your input

Rick :

You're welcome!