Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

What is good for filling in cement cracks? Also, we just

What is good for filling in cement cracks?

Also, we just had a new cement sidewalk done and my grandson scratched a picture in it with a nail he found. I made it worse by trying to rub it with a damp cloth and got over exuberant and now it's a round blob. I mean it's all bleaching out as it sits so it's not as obvious but it looks different than the pattern that the rest of the walk is. Is there a fix I can do to help without redoing the whole sidewalk?

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.

Sorry to hear about your problem.

Yeah, kids can't resist new concrete. You could try using a rubbing stone, but you may end up doing the entire new section so that you get a uniform look in the end. A rubbing stone can be purchased at any local home improvement store and looks like the picture below.
graphic

As far as filling cracks, use a grey urethane sealant. This sealant never really cures and stays flexible to expand and contract with the concrete. This can also be purchased at your local home improvement store. Follow the instructions, such as, cleaning the crack really well before sealing.

If you are satisfied with this answer please leave me a positive rating at your convenience.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Brian,

Does the rubbing stone smooth it out or put back the little ridges? My problem is the whole walk has a bit of a texture to it except where I rubbed it out. I was wondering if there's a way to skim coat that little 12" circle area and put the textured look back?

Thanks for the sealant answer - I'll look to buy that for the crack.

The rubbing stone will smooth out the concrete and it is really the only option, besides replacing. You can't skim it with anything because any concrete type mixture will just crack away over time; it's too thin.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just one more followup please - so is there anything I can do to roughen up that little patch without adding something then?

Thanks!

Not if the concrete is hard. Any method you try will only remove what is there. In other words you can only get results by removing material; you cannot add material. So any process of trying to roughen it wouldn't be easy to match the finish you have now, which is probably a broom finish.