Rich
Rich, Home Improvement Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 35 years construction and home maintenance experience
5098113

Hello, I want to remove a doorway (door jamb/architrave) and

Hello, I want to remove a doorway (door jamb/architrave) and square off the opening with plaster or gyprock. How to I go about removing the door jamb/architrave? Can I just lever it off with a crowbar?

Thanks
Wendy

Rich :

Hello do you have a sawsall ?? what tools do you have for this project ?

Rich :

have you removed the trim boards yet ?

Rich :

HMM .. have not heard the frame called by such a formal name

Rich :

There are typically three elements in the area of the door .. rough opening, door frame and the door trim ... reply and we can chat about them as they relate to your project

Customer:

Thanks for your response. I don't have a sawsall but could buy one if needed. I haven't removed anything as yet (only the door and hinges). I want the whole frame or jamb or architrave (whatever is the correct name) removed so that I can just have an opening in that spot that does not look like a doorway. Does that make any sense?

Customer:

Thanks for your response. I don't have a sawsall but could buy one if needed. I haven't removed anything as yet (only the door and hinges). I want the whole frame or jamb or architrave (whatever is the correct name) removed so that I can just have an opening in that spot that does not look like a doorway. Does that make any sense? I have access to some tools like a normal hand saw, angle grinder, circular saw, drill. I just want to get the wooden stuff off the opening and then plaster or gyprock it. Thanks, Wendyt

Rich :

Ok Wendy .. use a pry bar and claw hammer to remove the trim boards from around the doorway .. use a block of wood under the bar or hammer to help with leverage and keep form crushing the plaster around the doorway ... after the trim boards are removed you can pry the door frame out of the opening .. I asked about a sawsall because the frame ism much easier to remove if the nails are cut off by running a sawsall between the frame and the 2x4's that form the rough opening of the doorway

Rich :

if you free the bottom of the door frame first it will be easier to get the top out as the three pieces are blind nailed together at the top

Rich :

the rough opening of the doorway is formed by double 2x4's all around .. so there is no danger of any collapse if the door frame is removed .. this also directs the building load around the door itself so there is no pressure on the door

Rich :

once the doorframe .. the painted pieces the support the door , latch and hinges .. is removed you will have a rough 2x4 all around the opening .. you can sheetrock on this 2x4 and finish off as you would any outside corner .. might want to use corner reinforcement beads

Rich :

want to get real tricky and round the top corners of the opening ??

Customer:

Oh, thanks so much. Your advice is clear and I think I can do it. I don't want to round the top, just a neat (ish) square to mach another opening nearby. I really appreciate your help.