The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience

Hello, My question might not be appropriate for you, but Ill

Hello, My question might not be appropriate for you, but I'll try :)
I want to design a garden on my backyard, but I don't know where to start. I know that the success will depend on a good planning/clear ideas. I live in Houston, so the weather is hot most of the year (90-100C)and somewhat humid, with 1-3 "cold months"(50s-60s). our house is a one-level only, and we have two little ones (3-4 y/o) *that means we don't want to have anything that could hurt them... I would prefer to incorporate a bit of feng shui (wife's preference), and a little pond is one of my dreams and some palms... thanks in advance. if this is not your field, I understand :) helppppppppp
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Gina-Moderator replied 1 year ago.

I'm Gina, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Gina-Moderator

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Gina,

Thanks for following up. My question is related to garden designing, but I am not sure who would be right person to whom I should direct the question.

Juan

Hello Juan,

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Your question is in the correct category. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,

Gina-Moderator

Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Juan, is this a landscaping garden, vegitable garden, or a combination of the two.

Can you provide me with a basic plot plan of the property?

Is the property basically flat or are there different elevations that need to be taken into consideration?

Thank you.

Smitty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

backyard

Hello Smitty, thanks for taking my "case" :)

Here are some answers:

1- I would prefer to have a combination garden, probably 60-70% landscape and 20-30% Vegitable

2- the backyard is flat , no trees, nothing..just grass, but there is a concrete extension that could be used if it helps

3- I have attached a google view from the backyard, but I don't know if you'll be able to see it. The basic area would be 60 feet long (East), and maybe 15-20 feet wide North/South.

Not a whole lot of space, and perhaps that triggered the question, since I will need to play "wisely".

Some considerations:

*We have two little ones (so we would like to avoid thorns)

*I like palms

*I would like to have a little pond, maybe put it on in the concrete? (Which is a good place?)

*We live in Houston = A lot of sun light, very hot most of the year, a bit humid

Thank u!!!

Juan, the picture came out too blurry to see anything. Can you just post the link to the google image.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

backyard - East and South sideBackyard - North and East side

Hello Smitty,

I took a couple of pictures of the backyard. We bought the house and want to fix the backyard. There are not trees or plants of any type, only grass and a cement platform. In the middle of the platform, there is a square. The previous owner told us there was a tree in there...

Hope this helps :)

Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 12 months ago.

I am sorry for the delay replying to you Juan. Your question did not show in my "replied to you" list.

Mind you Im no artist by any standards but I think you will see what I am trying to show you.

If this doesnt work for you please let me know. This is only one half of the yard.

graphic

Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**

The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience: #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience