Rick
Rick , General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

Hello, I am looking to restore my deck, my daughter is getting

Customer Question

Hello, I am looking to restore my deck, my daughter is getting too many splinters being out there. My deck is not huge. The process I have so far is to clean it with a deck cleaner, then sand it, and then seal or stain it. I am just wondering what kind of sander would be best for this kind of job, if I should rent a drum sander, or if a random orbital sander would work better.

Thanks,
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue

Rick :

A random orbit sander is a lot easier to use than a drum sander and much more forgiving

Rick :

The drum sander rentals available in most places will leave big divots if you don't keep moving all the time, pausing for an instant can be a problem. However drum sanders will work faster than random orbit sanders

Customer:

So if I have no experience with a drum sander, would it just be better for me to use a random orbital sander for a project like this.

Rick :

Yes

Rick :

You're much less likely to make a mistake with a random orbit sander

Customer:

OK, that sounds good, I think I will go that route. Is there any other advice you have for me for restoreing a deck.

Rick :

If you haven't done so already, using a pressure washer is a lot easier than scrubbing the deck using a deck cleaner with a scrub brush

Customer:

I plan on starting this weekend. Thanks for your help.