Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

Garage Door Safety Cable

Customer Question

see the loose Garage Door Safety Cable in the attached picture. The cable does not wind on the drum, I guess the issue maybe in the cable drum/spring. Any idea how to fix it? The one on the other side of the garage door is ok, though.

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Charles replied 3 years ago.

Charles :

Hello, and thanks for your question! My name is Charles and I am happy to assist you today!!

Charles :

This is caused by 1 of 2 possible things.

Charles :

#1, the bolt that secures the drum on the shaft may have slipped and allowed the drum to rotate and basically unwind the cable.

Charles :

#2, the most common cause, the spring has broke and will need a new spring installed and then the tension loaded back up so the cable is put back under presure

Charles :

Check the spring to see if it has broken

Charles :

I will check back in to see your reply later this evening as you seem to be offline at this time.

Charles :

Thanks again,

Charles :

Charles

Customer :

how to check the spring? This seems to be a so called Wayne Dalton torquemaster system, right?

Charles : That's what it looks like
Charles : does the cable look like it broke at the end connected to the door?
Charles : Never mind, I see its still connected.
Charles : i had to blow up the picture, sorry
Charles : When you turn the drum does it just spin or does it build up tension?
Customer :

hi

Customer :

I just can not do it right now. If you can drop a few things you think I need to check, I'll do it tomorrow.

Customer :

In case of of a brokem spring, I guess I have to get the entire overhead tube down, remove the end cone etc.

Charles : Yes, you arerigt
Charles : right
Customer :

browsed over a few clips on the Youtube, got some ideas, not too much concerned about safety issue.

Charles : Unless you turn loose of it under tension, then it can get ugly quick
Charles : We are having an electrical storm so I need to log off. I will be back on in the morning
Customer :

ok.

Charles :

Charles :

Did you have a chance to check the drum?

Customer :

yes, actually the cable on the other side is also loose. And there is no tension on the drum, I can turn it easily with my fingers. I guess the spring inside has issue.

Charles :

Hi, Im not sure whats going on with the system but I sent a reply to you but it doesn't seem to show up.

Charles :

The spring is most likely broken and it will need to be replaced.