The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience

I have a 10 foot inflatable boat with a 7 horse motor. I need

I have a 10 foot inflatable boat with a 7 horse motor. I need to build a pump system that continuously sprays a stream of water at least 25-30 feet. I have a fountain pump that pumps 300 gph that I could hook up and a power converter I use in my truck. I don't know what I need but that is what I have. Do I need a car battery or? It's for a parade on the 4th. Help!
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer.

At minimum you will need the car battery. This should power the pump for about 15 minuets if that.

The inverter is designed to run off of a system that is connected to a generator/alternator. The average inverter will drain a car battery in about 15 minuets running a small appliance from the inverter. If you hook up a microwave to it you will be lucky to warm a cup of coffee.

The pump size is adiquate for what you want to do. At 22.5 seconds it will put out 2-1/16 gallons. The size of the apperature that it is pumping it through will be a factor though. At 25 - 30 feet output at that flow rate a 3/8" nozzle would be pushing it. A 1/4" nozzle would restrict the pump (causing more strain on the inverter/battery) and you will not get the GPM mentioned above.

Best suggestion is to rent a small generator from your local rental yard to power the pump.

The inverter and just a battery will not cut it. Figure a 20 minuet parade march you would be out of battery at the half way mark.

With a small generator you will probably run out of water first.

Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**

The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience: #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience

Steve, I am most intrigued with your plans. Please let me know how it turns out.

Thanks, Smitty