Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I am enclosing my patio to a garage, the door that leads into

I am enclosing my patio to a garage, the door that leads into the kitchen from the patio must be fireproof correct? is there a requirement as to which way the door should open? Out to the garage? Or into the kitchen? can you please help?

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue

Rick :

Yes the door must be fire rated and have self closing hinges. There is no stipulation on how it swings in or out. There must be at least a 4" rise/curb between the garage and the living space

Customer:

Hi Rick, did you see my question?

Rick :

just posted my answer when you did

Rick :

see above

Customer:

ok got it

Customer:

one more thing...

Customer:

I have another door which leads into the laundry room from patio does that need the same specs?

Rick :

Not if the laundry doesn't lead to the living space. You also need a 1 hour fire separation between the garage and the living space which is typically done by hanging 5/8" fire code sheet rock on common walls

Customer:

sorry also another door which leads into a storage room where the hot water heater is.

Rick :

Where does the water heater get air for combustion? through a louvre/vent into what will be the garage?

Customer:

now the door to the laundry room has a glass window does that matter? well not sure the door is always closed (water heater room)

Customer:

let me go check if there is a vent of some sort

Rick :

ok

Customer:

I don't see a vent, the house was built in '59... Rick I don't see a vent, I assume it is getting the air from under the door

Rick :

You need a tight door but not necessarily a fire rated door and you need to cut in a combustion air vent to the outside or you can raise the heater 18" off the floor

Rick :

assuming it's gas not electric

Customer:

its gas, the windowed door is allowable though?

Rick :

as long as the door is tight, the idea is to keep gasoline fumes from the garage away from the open flame in the water heater

Customer:

ok, good enough thank you for your time Rick

Rick :

You're welcome!