Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

How to prevent a wood laminate floor from moving and shift

How to prevent a wood laminate floor from moving and shifting?
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.

A laminate floor is supposed to float and be installed with a 1/2" inch gap around the perimeter so that it can "move", expand and contract. If the flooring is separating where the pieces interlock then the interlock could be broken. If this only occurs in a few places then you could glue these areas with wood glue; wipe any excess with damp sponge or cloth before the glue dries.

If you are satisfied with this answer please leave me a positive rating at your convenience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help. We know what needs to be done and we are doing it. Our house is very old and even with self leveling compound the floors are not level and the walls are not square. The floor is just another quirky thing about the house that tends to drive a person nuts. It is just home and we love it. Thank you again for your help

Elizabeth Comes.

Yes, I know all about old homes. Sometimes it takes a little creative thinking on how to make things work. It sounds like you have done that. Thanks for the update and good luck with it!