The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience

Hello, I am looking to stick rubber magnetic tapes to PP/PVC

Customer Question

Hello, I am looking to stick rubber magnetic tapes to PP/PVC sheets. I need very strong bonding between the two surfaces. What is the right adhesive for this application?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer.

You need some "Gorilla Snot"! It sticks well to plastics and will adhear to the rubber magnetic tapes as well.

Ok so you cant get the gorilla trainer to get some for you. In that case just use some 3M weatherstrip adhesive. It comes in yellow, and black. It is very durable and weather proof. It even holds up in caustic environments, like sea salt and battery electrolite.

I use it for many things. holding sand paper on my orbital sander, gluing down stubborn formica strips on counter tops, patchig my rubber boots that I use for pouring concrete, it makes a great substitute for patching rubber tire inner tubes, glueing leather and cloth to just about anything, gluing tail light lenses that were damaged in a fender bender back together, gluing same tail light back to vehicle, and even gluing a rattle snakes head (well desicated) to the top of my monitor.

You can get it at any hardware store or automotive parts house. It costs about 8 bucks for a tube of it.

Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**

Yes Im serious about the rattle snake head. =)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am going to get some of that 3M weatherstrip adhesive, do some trials and let you now how it works. I have tried a few other 3M adhesives and so far none were particularly effective, lets see how this one works.

Are there any other adhesives you would like to recommend, like maybe something from Loctite or Araldite so that i could do a few more trials and figure what works best?

Regards,

Ashok

Ashok, I havnt used any of those products so I really cant recommend them or not. I have used LokTite thread products when I worked as a mechanic but that doesnt apply here.

When you use the gorilla snot (thats its nick name) it may appear that it doesnt want to stick to the PVC. Just spread it around. It will stick. The best way to use it is to app;ly a thin film to both work pieces and let it dry like you would rubber cement. Put them together and after 24 hours you will ruin the magnetic strip before you get them apart.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still yet to get hold of the weatherstrip adhesive, i expect to have it tomorrow, will back to you with the feedback/rating once the trial is done.

Thnx,

Ashok

No problem, Ashok. I look forward to the results. =)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We did trials this morning with the 3M adhesive you recommended.

The 3M weatherstrip & gasket adhesive stuff is not bonding to the surface of the PP sheet. It is not sticking in a way that inspires a lot of confidence in it.

Thnx,

Ashok

From my previous reply; "it may appear that it doesnt want to stick to the PVC".

In my experience polypropylene has the same propertys when it comes to gluing something to it as PVC. It may appear to not work but if you let it sit and harden for 24 hours you will see it does stick.

As a proof of concept experiment Im going to glue a magnetic buisness card to a milk jug. The milk jug is PP, I presume that a magnetic business card is similar to what you are using. I will even video the process for you.

If either material is different please let me know and I will get that material to test with.

Best, Smitty

Ashok, here is the link to the video I made. It will be live in aproximately 2 hours from the time of this posting. I tried a couple other things and suprisingly hot melt glue stick performed exceptionally well. I tried to remove the magnetic business card I used for the test and it came off alright, but in pieces! It stuck to the milk jug I used for testing a whole lot better than I thought it would. If anything it is a viable alternative to the 3M weatherstrip adhesive.

I will video myself trying to remove the magnertic business card tomorrow after it has had a good amount of time to set up .

Best, Smitty

Please click here to view the video.

Special thanks to XXXXX XXXXX for the magnetic business card!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Saw the video, but wasn't sure of a couple of things. One is whether the jug used is polypropylene? (Polypropylene has one of the lowest surface energies even among plastics hence the difficulty in bonding and hence the struggle in finding the right adhesive)

Second is, the magnetic card you have used, is it the same as the rubber magnetic tape we are trying to use... The tape i'm referring to is more like a flexible rubber tape...

Hot melt is not an option since the heat can cause warpage in the PP sheets which is undesirable

Regards,

Ashok