The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

I have water seeping out of the brick work on the outside of

Customer Question

I have water seeping out of the brick work on the outside of the house. I have a shower on the inside at the same level. I have had a plumber do a leak test and pressure test also filled the shower recess with water to see if there was any sign of water escaping. All test came up negative. I want to know who i can contact for a solution before i pull the shower apart. The leak is comming from between the brick work and the shower wall. I have even climbed on the roof to check for cracked tiles. Can you help me please find a solution solver.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer.

What you need to do is be able to see inside the wall. There are two methods to do this. Thermal imaging. Although not very accurate it will show clearly if it is the hot water that is leaking, or use a boroscope to see inside with.

There are inexpensive boroscopes that you can purchase and do the work yourself, or there are companies that will come out and do it for you.

Please advise how you wish to proceed and I will get the information for you.

Thank you.

Best, Smitty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

please provide companies who i can contact.

What is the postal code for your area, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Arundel 4214 Gold Coast

Thank you. Please stand by.

Gary I am unable to locate a service that offers borescoping in your area. I will see what services are available that can help you solve your problem, but that is going to take some research. If you could check back in a couple hours I should have something for you by then.

Sorry for the wait.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thats ok thank you very much.

You are welcome. =)

Gary, I would like for you to do a test for me.

Locate your water meter. Open it and clean off the glass so you can see the meters flow indicator.

Go into the house and turn off the valves to all toilets, refrigerators, and anything else that may turn on the water automatically (sprinkler systems, water softeners, etc.).

Once that is done note exactly where the meter indicator dial is and the numbers at the bottom of the meter.

Wait at least 1 hour and then check the meter again.

Let me know if the meter has changed at all.

This will tell us if there is actually a leak or if you may have another source that is causing the problem.

Showers are tricky devils when it comes to leaks. There are three sources that may cause this. The shower pan, the shower faucet, and the shower head.

Hopefully it is the shower head that is causing this as they can sometimes be repaired without tearing out the wall or tile work.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That was the first thing i did, I checked the water metre and wrote it down, went out came back 2.5 hours later and it hadent moved so i did it again the next day for 4 hours and still no change so i knew i wasnt loosing any water.

Sorry for the delayed reply, Gary. My wifes car broke down and I had to go tow it home. If the meter did not move then the leak has to be from the shower head. That being the case what you can try is turning the piece of pipe that the shower head attaches to and see if it is loose. If it is remove the pipe from the wall and apply some teflon tape to it and reinsert it. Tighten it hand tight plus 1/4 turn. If the pipe is tight (requires a wrench to move it) then you have a corroded, or cracked pipe that the shower head pipe goes into .

Unfortunately this will require that you access the pipe and replace it.

The easiest way is through the shower wall if there is brick on the other side. You need enough room to pull out the old pipe and install the new one. It is best to cut from the faucet to the shower head pipe, but I have got away with cutting a 1' by 6" slot just under the shower head pipe.

If you are not comfortable doing this any competent carpenter, plumber, or tile contractor can handle it for you easily enough.

Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have checked the shower head and the taps by a plumber and had a pressure test and filled the shower base with water to check for leaks and there is none, the down pipes have also been checked and are all ok as i did say in my previous message. Can you help?

Gary, unless there is another source for the water something has been missed.

Water will not just occure and make signs of a leak. It has to come from somewhere.

Considering that you have done the flow test at the water meter there is only the shower pan, down pipes, and the shower head left. You say that the shower pan has been tested. Ok Ill scratch that one from the list. How about the line coming from the shower pan. If it is leaking then it may be the source. Just filling up the showert pan and checking for leaks doesnt cut it. You have to check the drain line as well. Leaving the water running after filling the pan and opening up the drain will do that. Let it run for at least 1/3 longer than your average shower time. If you check for the leak it will show.
Another consideration is being able to tell if the leak is occuring. This would involve letting it dry out between tests unless it is obvious when it is leaking (steady dripping starts or noticable amount of water is visable). If you cant tell which test is the leaky one you will drive yourself (and I) nutz.

Any chance you can provide a few pictures of the leak? You can upload them to http://tinypic.com Post the last link in the list they give you after the upload completes.

Thank you.

Best, Smitty

Hi, Gary. Just checking in with you. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Best, Smitty.

**How to rate your expert**

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did not get the answer or a solution to my problem. You told me to check everything I had already checked and told you I had checked. I think you are stuck just like me. I am sorry. I don't think I should pay but what can I do. Thanks for your time.

Gary Im not stuck yet. I asked if you could provide some pictures of the wet brick. If I can see the problem Im sure I can provide you with more information.

I also provided you with other alternatives to tearing out the brick.

When it comes down to it, Gary you are going to have to tear out something. This ptroblem is not going to be one that you can turn a pipe, ot tighten a packing glan.

You have a leak in your plumbing somewhere. That we know. We also know that the flow test eliminated the faucets. That leaves you with the drain pipes, or the shower head feed pipe. Unless you can see them you will not be able to confirm which is the problem. I presume that the drain pipe is embedded in a concrete slab. If that is the case there is a way to test to see if it is the problem. Before you get into the shower pour a bottle of food coloering into the drain. Do that every time you shower. In a couple days you should see the coloring coming from the brick.

If you dont then the problem is the shower head feed pipe.

In that case open up the wall and repair it.

In a previous post you typed this "i have checked the shower head and the taps by a plumber". How was the shower head feed pipe tested? The only way to determne if it is leaking is to open the wall. If the plumber told you that he tested it he lied.

Do the food coloring test, Gary. That will eliminate one last possibility.

Best, Smitty.

P.S. Please do not use the lower 2 ratings. If you do not wish to pay just do nothing (except reply to me). The ratings are used to determine if I remain on the site as an expert.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was charged both on the 7th of July and the 7th of August for this service. How do i get a refund? or get you to stop taking money from my account please.