The Home Smithy , Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

Hello, Ive got a question on solar lights. Ive got a coupl

Hello, I've got a question on solar lights. I've got a couple of lights that needed batteries replaced. They take lithium battery. Replaced the batteries and they didn't come on. Bought a different brand and still no lights at night. Took an original battery from a light and placed it in the light that needed a new battery and it worked so it's obviously a battery issue. Is there a particular type I should get for solar lights?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer.
Unfortunately many manufactrurers are placeing small circuits inside the batterys so that you must use their batterys to operate the item. This is true with many high end lighting systems, and other solar/battery systems.
Your best bet is to try and get the OEM batterys for your lights.
Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I took your advice on choice of battery. The battery that I need is AA. Does OEM battery come in that size and if so where would I find them?

Im not sure actually. I will need the model number of the lights/light system, please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The only info. I have is the item#428402-41W

Ok one moment please.

This is from the manufacturers web site FAQ.

Can I use any other type of battery or higher mAh batteries?

You may use Ni-Cd or Ni-Mh batteries. Higher mAh is allowed, but could result in a longer charge time. Battery capacity is rated in milliamps (mAh) and is printed on the side of the battery. You cannot however, replace a Ni-Cd or Ni-Mh battery with a Lithium battery.

You may have tried installing batterys that are higher amp hour rated. To use them you must first charge them with a battery charger. The higher amp hour rating makes it very difficult for the solar to charge them. It could take weeks if not more, but if you pre charge them then all the solar has to do is maintain them.

Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**