John Contractor
John Contractor, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed GC, OSHA Certified, 25 Years Experience Commercial & Residential
22184762

I am going to try and plaster the bottom of my home and garage

Customer Question

I am going to try and plaster the bottom of my home and garage the total square footage of the walls are 820 square feet.I would like to know approximately how much sand,lime and Portland cement I would need for two coats.If I decided to go with white stucco how many bags would I need for one coat over the brown coat.Do they make tint for white stucco.I would like a beige or gray
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  John Contractor replied 3 years ago.

Hello there

-

In order to plaster the exterior you will need to prepare a plaster mix using Portland Cement, Sand and Lime. For the overall square footage and to do two coats, you will need 2 bags of cement, 8-10 bags of sand and 1 bag of lime. For each coat, you want to mix 1 bag of cement 4-5 bags of sand and 1/2 bag of lime and then add water to make the mix the consistency of toothpaste. Be careful with you sand and water mixing in because you do not want it too watery. Regarding your colors between white/beige/gray -- you can ask the clerks at Home Depot, Lowes or where you get your supplies to assist you with the colors for the mix -- the tints are sold everywhere.

-

Please let me know if you have further questions.

-

THANKS !!

-

JOHN

-

Please press the 3rd, 4th or 5th smile face below so I will be paid for my time. I am paid NOTHING unless you press a positive rating below. THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I were to get the sand by the ton what would I get its cheaper than bags and how many bags of white stucco would I need or do they sell colored stucco?Can I go directly over block or do i need plaster lath?

Hello again Jerry --

I apologize for the delay -- I was offline for a while.

-

Regarding the sand, it would be cheaper by the ton and I think that about a half ton should do it. But sand is only about $1.50-$2.00 a bag anyway. If you are using stucco it will be about 18 bags but it is more expensive (you can get many colors including white -- just ask the clerk). You can go directly over the block but my suggestion is to use the lathe as it will not crack as quickly as going directly on the block.

-

I hope that helps. Because you are on a subscription plan, you can press as many positive ratings underneath answer boxes as you wish to and you will not be charged anything additional for doing so (FYI, in the event you were unaware of that).

-

THANKS

-

Expert:  John Contractor replied 9 months ago.
I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, can you please go to the ratings section above this answer session and press the middle star, the fourth star or the fifth star on the right which will insure a positive rating and that I will be paid for my time assisting you today; Pressing a positive rating will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time assisting you tonight.-THANK YOU VERY MUCH