How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Steve G. Your Own Question
Steve G.
Steve G., Handyman
Category: Home Improvement
Satisfied Customers: 17964
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company and home theater advisor.
Type Your Home Improvement Question Here...
Steve G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I tell if I have a 220 line in my kitchen? We had

This answer was rated:

How can I tell if I have a 220 line in my kitchen? We had a separate oven and range but want to install a single unit.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

It is likely that you do have 220V to both the old range and old oven but we should be sure.

Do you have a voltmeter? If so, measure the voltage across the two hot wires at the box (careful now...).

If not, your electrical panel may have a list of what the breakers are feeding. 220V breakers will be 'two pole' which are double the width (height) of a regular singe pole breaker.

If your range and oven breakers are two pole, then you have 220V at the wall box.

You should compare the breaker amperages - written on the actual breaker trip handle with the requirements of your new oven. If the oven requires a higher amperage than what you have, you may need to rewire that circuit and provide a larger amperage breaker.

I'll be here if you need further help with this issue. Please let me know.



Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have two 40 amp poles that are connected with a copper wire so that they turn on and off in unison. These are labeled range and oven. From the wall there is no outlet but two sets of wires that do not look alike and appear to have different capacities (gauges of wire are different). There are colored, thinner wires that powered the wall oven and the thicker gray and black wires that powered the cooktop. If the larger gauge is 220 and I install an outlet what do I do with the smaller gauge colored wires? Thank you.


If your new range states that a 40A breaker will be sufficient, then you can connect to it. The remaining wires can be taped up and you can put a plate on the box. It is against code to 'bury' that box behind drywall.

You would then turn off that unused breaker and clearly mark it as the old range.

That's all you need to do.

You need to know however that if your new range is rated for anything higher than 32A at 220V, that breaker you plan to use is insufficient - and so is the wiring most likely.

I'll be here if you need further help with this issue. Please let me know.



Steve G. and other Home Improvement Specialists are ready to help you

Related Home Improvement Questions