Rick Ridley
Rick Ridley, General Contractor
Experience:  30 Years building houses & extensions all from recomendation (never advertised)

would a concrete slurry do to hold together a stone wall?

Customer Question

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick Ridley replied 9 months ago.
Quite possibly, but you would need to make sure the slurry does not push the wall over before it sets, what is behind the wall and how high is it, Rick
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

hello rick...i'm so grateful to hear back from you!

Its a free-standing wall. the wall was about 15 ft in height. it separates me from the neighbour and was very precarious. i thought it had just been the header stones which were loose. on bringing down the top stones it is obvious the weakness is lower still.

it had been abutted by an old outdoor lavatory...but i got rid of that immediately without even taking a photo or really taking much note but possibly the roof was protecting that part of the wall. Either side is surprisingly sound. To the left there is a concrete filet and top stones on top, to the right just a single skin infill, in stone - to raise the height from about 6ft of rendered poss double width stone to (slightly less than the section removed) about 14ft(?) but that layer is solid with a good strong mix. I think the problem with the unstable section, about 3ft in width, which was in between two pillars - an extra height above the 6ft base being finished with single skin brick - was that the mortar mix was very sandy.

As we removed the top we have had to keep going down removing more and more....we re at about waist height now. It would be easy to take the whole thing down...not so easy to put it back up!

Given the gaps between the stone as well as the sandy mix...if we poured a strong concrete mix into the holes would the slurry run down far enough before setting to hold the wall do you think ....so we can do the job ourselves?

Or is your concern that it might run out at the bottom or cause a bulge somewhere and force the wall apart?

What if we made it really runny so enough passes through to reach the bottom but just in small amounts til setting time has passed before pouring a little more down..or might it not pass through and than bulge as an accumulation somewhere?

Am I going to have to take this wall down and start again? Goodness knows what the foundations are like? How deep should the footings be for a wall?

We did successfully rebuild another section...its still standing! (But its lower).

Difficult to offer advice without seeing it, I guess this wall is fairly wide, pouring a slurry in to the gaps small amounts at a time is a possibility, but I think to be honest rebuilding is the best answer, any chance you can post a picture? Rick
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

yes ok Rick I'll do that and will provide measured measurements(!).

Was just thinking the same thing when I went down to look at it again....such a shock! You can see the buildings behind and all my neighbours paraphenalia!!!

It may have been held together by the external render alone. Anyway that's chipping off now. Just in case I have to get help in can you suggest the best way to find a brickie here in Wales Uk. Swansea area..is there a professional organisation I can search?

I live on the South Coast but have some mates in Wales mainly chippies but I can ask when I am next in contact and am coming to Wales next W,E, for some 4 x 4 driving fun, Rick
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

sounds great. would one of them be able to have a look tomorrow tho?

Not sure if I can contact anyone that quick as they go out playing at week ends and mostly I can only leave messages, but will try, Rick
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

many thanks indeed!

will take a photo shortly

Messages gone out no replies as yet but would not expect, till later, Rick
One of my mate's has a Brother near you and knows a good Bricky, but he is at Glastonbury so may not be contactable at the moment, soon as he does I will give you a phone number, Rick
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

thanks rick ...i'll give you top marks once i've been in touch ...even if I've got someone by then!

Tried to upload photos 'access denied'