Steve G., Handyman
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company and home theater advisor.
329447

mySamsung HT-D555W home theatre dvd player does not function

mySamsung HT-D555W home theatre dvd player does not function it plays music CDs but not Movies
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

I need some additional information from you in order to fully understand the situation.

1. How old is this DVD player?

2. Will it not play any DVDs at all? You have tried different ones?

Please let me know so that we can continue.

Regards

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I purchased the unit in February 2012 although it was a superceded model, like I said it plays music CD,s but not Movies

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I forgot to tell you yes I have tried different DVD,s someone told me today that if I played movie DVD,s from another region the unit would lock up

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

I see that you are in Australia. Are the movies that you are trying to watch region coded to Region 4? From where did you obtain these DVDs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Usually purchased in Australia although I have purchased LDS movies from Salt Lake but they worked fine, the only other thing I can think of is between the time I last watched a movie and then realised the unit was not working was a few months

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying that your LDS movies previously worked fine on this DVD player?

Regards

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes they did also I purchased a cheap dvd player and both the US and Aussie videos work fine mate

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

It does sound like the player may be faulty then unfortunately.

The bad news is that there is basically not much that can be done here - certainly there is no user adjustment. When these optical drives fail, the only recourse is to replace it unfortunately. I can't in good conscience, tell you to get it repaired since a repair (if it can be performed at all) will cost far in excess of a cheap replacement.

These are the realities of modern mass produced electronics.

Did you recently perform a software update on this player?

Regards

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no I didn't, I appreciate the help you gave me I should not have let the warranty run out

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, good luck. Maybe you can find a good used one.

I'll be here if you need further help with this issue. Please let me know.

Regards

Steve

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

just thought of something can I connect up a new dvd player to my current home theatre speakers?

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.

An new DVD player? No. A new Home Theater DVD player - yes.

A plain old DVD player will have neither the amplifiers nor the speaker terminals to accommodate the speakers.

What you should be able to do is buy a plain old DVD player and connect it to the old one using the AUX or D-IN inputs on the back of the old machine.

That WILL work.

Regards

Steve

Steve G., Handyman
Experience: VP of electronic repair company and home theater advisor.