Daniel, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Expert in electrical & mechanical design, troubleshooting, and problem solving
47322625

I have a central air unit in my attic, yesterday I noticed

I have a central air unit in my attic, yesterday I noticed wet spots on my ceiling upstairs in my master bedroom. I went up in the attic and there is water leaking from a duct (the round silver tubes going everywhere) this one was leaking right before the unit. I felt around and I could feel a coil or some type of line going through this duct. We usually have the unit at about 76 degrees, yesterday wasn't super hot but I do live in Las Vegas, NV so it was probably easily in the 100's but with like only 5% humidity.

What could be going on? I have a home warranty but I am in a waiting period which ends July 12th. So I don't know if I can wait that long....?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Hi there happy to help.

You condenser unit of your AC unit is in your attic. This has a tray and a drain line to collect and get rid of condensating water. This line is plugged or the overflow is plugged, or both.

Its not an expensive repair if you have someone take care of it before it damages your home. I used to live in TX and have seen similar issues MANY times. Why they put these units in the attics is beyond me.

Please don't forget to rate me and have a great weekend.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why would the line be inside of one of the ducts thought? Just curious
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
The condensing unit sits in the ductwork. If its not draining properly it will leak everywhere. The drain tray eventually forms leaks, and the lines commonly plug after a few years of operation. This is why they should not put them in attics. This can result in major damage if not caught right away.

Take care.
Daniel, Electrical Engineer
Experience: Expert in electrical & mechanical design, troubleshooting, and problem solving
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you give me advice on how to ckear the line myself?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
It takes close inspection to identify where the leak is coming from. Not being there its very difficult to do this for you over the internet, however I would first find the drain line and trace it back to the duct from there.

Take care.