Rick
Rick , General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I had two big trees cut down. They left the ground up stump

I had two big trees cut down. They left the ground up stump wood for me in a big pile. So I spread it out and trued to plant grass in it. That didn't work.

So the yard on the side of my house is about 4" deep in what looks like really dark dirt now, but is just ground up tree. Can I ADD something to this to make it growable soil, or do I have to dig it all out. It grows weeds, but grass will not grow.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you today with your question.

If the wood chips have rotted significantly (you don't say when the trees were cut down) then you could cover them with at least 3" (6" is ideal) of loam then seed your lawn. If they haven't really rotted much then you'll have to dig them out and put the loam back in their place. Keep in mind that if you cover them this area will sink a bit as the chips continue to rot. How much it will sink depends on how thick the layer of chips is. A 6" deep layer could drop an inch or two