Martin, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  Design, construct, fix and grow stuff around and in the home.
14666028

Yesterday I spoke with a tech and while speaking I had an idea

Yesterday I spoke with a tech and while speaking I had an idea how to solve my noise. The fan makes no noise with the light globe removed. I had isolated all component below the fan blades with rubber gaskets, o rings, etc. Didn't help. I suspended a 2.5 to 3 lb weight from the nut that holds the globe on. Noise has not been present for 24 hours. Suggestions as to what I should do for permanent and practical fix. lee XXXXX

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

Unfortunately, cannot find the previous discussion to gain any other information.

Possibly used a different email or login name?

What is the make and model? And/Or can you post a picture and post to see how the globe and all the components combine to attach and hold the globe?

You can upload pictures to tinypic.com and then post the links here.
Only a minute to get the pics.

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

pic sent. But keep getting invalid code up load failed.
The fan is a flush mount, with 5 blades. Then light bulbs are atteache dto the bracket below the mortor portion witjh a screw shaft downward. The globe is inverted and is held by an insulated nut to the shaft.I added rubbe cushioning at every attach point.

Thanks for the information.

I would not be able to give any opinion without seeing the actual configuration.

There are so many variables with the globe attachments, washers, spacers, nipples, etc, it would be difficult for me to give any definitive input without seeing the original mounting and hardware.

I will have to opt out without any model to find a manual or picture of the setup.

Someone else may have more input they wish to propose, would have to put the question back on the board and see if an expert picks up the question.

Sometimes it takes a while, but someone should be along and post.

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have other fans just like , no noise. Noise sounds like a harmonic but it is pulsing not continuous. Touching the nut on the end of the shaft holding the light covering stops the noise. Also suspending a 2 lb weight does the same thing
I just noticed this is also in Home Improvement, let me send it to the Eelectrical category where there are more experts who have worked with fans.

Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hello. This definitively sound like a resonance problem. My guess would be wear, defect or dust/dirt in a ball bearing. If you could lubricate it could reduce it. The weight seem to create a vibration escape path. Rubber and such are not always the best to prevent noise as they isolate vibration and they can add until audible (then they reach an instability point that eventually create a torque strong enough to cause a pressure and release the accumulated energy, until it build up again (causing the pulsating pattern you mention).

A way to sometime remove such noise is to create a damper (like a vibrating plate). The plate need to be able to dissipate the energy of the vibration or the plate/blade will become part of the problem and allow the sound to get even louder. The plate need to be the length of the audio wavelength (that is speed of the wave divided by the audio frequency). You can know the frequency of the wave by recording it onto a computer (lot of software allow this). As you can ear it, it should be between 17m and 17mm. If it is a practical length you may try this fix (the more rigid the plate, the less energy it will dissipate, so high density rubber might work better than metal. You can also mount the plate on a screw for finer tuning of the wavelength).
Martin, Electrical Engineer
Experience: Design, construct, fix and grow stuff around and in the home.