Rick
Rick , General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I want to learn to install porcelain tile. I have a small

I want to learn to install porcelain tile. I have a small first project that I'm just starting. It's a stand alone cabinet that I will use as a patio bar. I have another cabinet that I want to tile in the house. This first job is practice. My question is about tools. I would like to do a few projects with tile so I will use the tool again. I'm a novice with everything home improvement, but I am learning. I saw a Riobi 18V ONE+ Tile Saw Console for $30 at home depot. The reviews were stellar online. I watched some utube videos too, but none had this new tool. A new wet saw is around $100 and craiglist had some too. What is the difference between the new products and the used? Are the new ones poor quality? The new tools are not much more that what folks are asking for used tools.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue

Ok, first I would avoid a battery powered saw which is what the Ryobi seems to be from your description

Rick :

You're likely to get a better quality used saw for the same money that you would spend on a new saw.

Rick :

You can't cut porcelain tile with a manual cutter, you need a wet saw

Customer:

How heavy is a used saw? do I need a table or any extra equipment like a air compressor.

Rick :

A manual cutter is only for soft bodied tile

Rick :

No air compressor, a work stand is beneficial. if the saw doesn't come with one then a folding stand/workbench like a Black & Decker workmate is a good option

Customer:

So mainly I should invest in a decent used wet saw, a nipper, score tool for the backer is enough to start.

Rick :

If you eventually plan on tiling a decent sized floor then you should look for a good a decent quality pro type saw (used)

Customer:

Next is there an all purpose blade that I should get?

Rick :

Yes any decent all purpose diamond blade will work fine

Rick :

You also need setting and grouting tools

Customer:

Great! Thanks. Oh yes. I forgot about the grouting tools. Is metal or plastic best?

Rick :

to grout you need a good sponge an d a rubber float

Rick :

no metal

Rick :

you don't need the float for a real small job

Customer:

When I do a transition strip on the floor, how do I make sure a wood strip does not break?

Rick :

it won't break if it sits flat on the floor and is properly secured

Customer:

Thanks. I'm ready to go to work!