Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

door went up wont come down just clicks

door went up wont come down just clicks
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.

If the door is stuck open, verify that the trolley is not stuck on the bolt located near the motor unit. If it is, simply dislodge it from the bolt and reset limits to stop the trolley before it hits the bolt.

If you see the LED producing 5 flashes then that means that either the motor has overheated/ stuck or the RPM sensor needs to be replaced. You would need to first, unplug the unit to reset and then plug back in. Then try to operate the opener and check for any flashing lights. If the unit still flashes 5 times and the motor unit moves 6-8 inches, replace the RPM sensor. If motor unit does not operate, the unit has overheated again. Wait 30 minutes and retry. If it still doesn't operate then you will need to replace the logic board.....unfortunately it will cost around $70.00 (average price).

If you do not see the 5 flashes, a clicking noise typically means a bad logic board as well. The clicking typically appears after a lightning storm or power surge. They are highly sensitive to these and fail. If the opener is older than 10 years I would recommend spending that money towards a new opener. On the plus side, today's opener technology is better and safer. Also, invest in a surge protector made for garage door openers....it will help protect the new logic board.

Sorry for the bad news. If you are satisfied with this answer please leave me a positive rating at your convenience.