The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

my name is XXXXX XXXXX in the Northeastern Brasil

my name is XXXXX XXXXX in the Northeastern Brasil abt 200 KM South of Fortaleza. My house and all is built on sand apporx 60 meters above sea level. You can check my website on www.doarpromar.com to get a better idea. Since we do not have a public waste water system I have installed a bioseptic tank for the toilets, which is working well. \\\my msin proiblem is the kitchen and shower water - what to do with it ? I would like to capture this water, clean it, and reuse for irrigation. My questions are now to you - How do I clean the water and b) what should i grow in sand ? we have 12 hrs sun daily, and 25 degrees celcious all year round ? Hope to hear from you soon

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 3 years ago.

Hi Gilbert. Welcome to JustAnswer.com

The only issue that you have using grey water to irrigate with would be someone using non bio dregradeable soaps, detergents or household cleaning solutions. They may cause a health problem and probably kill any plants that you water them with. The biggest offending chemical would be bleach. Not really harmful to humans, but death on a stick for plants.

If you can be sure that this wont happen (or at least not too often) you can use a simple sand filter to prep th e grey water for use irrigating your plants.

As for what kind of plants that is up to you. Any of the native plants will do good.

You can use the water just like the water you use from a faucet, just be sure no one drinks it.

Clearly marking the water lines coming from the grey water filter is a must. Depending on the nationality of your clients will determine the language(s) you must post the signs in. Of course the universal sign of a spigot and a glass with water in it with a big red circle and slash through it is also required (example below).

Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**

graphic

The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience: #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience