Rick
Rick , General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I used to work in a large hotel (800 rooms) in NYC, where many

Customer Question

I used to work in a large hotel (800 rooms) in NYC, where many construction jobs were done illegally, with no permits or inspections. One of the construction projects involved a complete renovation of 2 large basement storage rooms into men's and women's changing rooms. The renovations included electrical work, plumbing (toilets, urinals for the men's, showers and sinks), and HVAC. I reported this (and other violations) to OSHA, and the hotel claims that they did not need permits because it was only "soft" renovation. They claim that the plumbing work was done off of existing lines. I believe that permits were needed, but I want to check this out. Please advise.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Rick replied 3 years ago.

Rick :

Welcome, my name is Rick and I will do my best to help you with your issue

Do you need the NYC code referenced? if you do I will opt out since I don't have access to it but any modification to the mechanical systems particularly in a commercial setting ALWAYS requires a permit in any jurisdiction

JACUSTOMER-wbtuj2m7- :

Do I understand correctly that you are saying that if electrical work was done, plumbing fixtures installed and HVAC work performed, that all of that would constitute modifications to mechanical systems?

Rick :

Absolutely, not to mention you have handicap accessibility issues here. But I don't see how this is OSHA related. This looks like a building code violation.

Rick :

OSHA regulates job site safety issues.

Rick :

Occupational Safety and Health Administartion

Rick :

do you have any more questions?

Rick :

If you want to file a complaint you should probably contact the city's code enforcement department