The Home Smithy , Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

I am interested in Behr Deckover for a small deck and concrete

Customer Question

I am interested in Behr Deckover for a small deck and concrete patio area. I have several layers of previous acrylic paint in various states of erosion. I cleaned the deck and removed the paint that was peeling off but most of the deck still has paint on it. My last paint job the paint continually peeled with poor adhesion. The Home Depot rep assured me that I don't have to strip the wood or remove the layers prior to applying this product but I feel uncertain about using it and don't want peeling. I also don't want to strip the wood with it's several annoying previous paint layers.Do you have any experience with this product?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 3 years ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer.
What you need to do is get ALL of the paint that is not adhering to the wood, or concrete surface off. A pressure washer will do this for you easy enough.
Once all the paint that is not adhering to the surfaces is off scuff up any other pain that remains and feather any multilayer edges. Once you have that done you will want to add an emulsifier to the primer. The emulsifier will kind of melt the old paint and allow the primer to adhere to it. Once the primer has dried for 24 hours go ahead and add some emulsifier to the paint and paint the deck.
A quick scuffing of the primer with some 400 grit will help too.
The key here is to get off all of the paint that is not stuck to the surfaces real good. That is where you will get peeling paint. Any voids between the surface and the paint is going to cause it to peel.
Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What did you mean scuff up and feather? Also have you heard of or used Deckover? It is unlike previous products - extremely thick. Doesn't say anything about using a primer?

Meta, thbelow are the prep instructions from the manufacturer. The paint emulsifyer (emulsibond is what I use) is only an additive you can get to put in the paint. It isnt required.

Surface preparation:

(Proper surface preparation is required.)

All surfaces must be clean, sound, dry and free of any dirt, oil, and grease before application.
Wood Surfaces: Replace rotting or unstable boards and remove loose splinters. Remove mildew stains, dirt, oil and grease with a product such as BEHR PREMIUM® NO. 63 All-In-One Wood Cleaner prior to application. (This is what I ment by using a primer)
Use a product such as BEHR PREMIUM NO. 64 Wood Stain & Finish Stripper (must be followed by NO. 63) to remove all loose wood fibers, peeling paint/stain or deteriorated coatings prior to application of DeckOver.
On new wood, use NO. 63 to remove mill glaze and open the pores of the wood. Rinse thoroughly and allow to dry before coating.
Concrete Surfaces: Avoid areas that are structurally weak or subject to hydrostatic pressure above 8 psi. Allow new surfaces to cure for 30 days.
Use a product such as BEHR PREMIUM NO. 992 Concrete & Masonry Paint Stripper to strip peeling coating.
Use a product such as BEHR PREMIUM NO. 991 Concrete & Masonry Cleaner & Etcher to clean and etch uncoated concrete or NO. 990 Concrete & Masonry Degreaser & Cleaner on sound coated surfaces prior to coating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Smitty. I always have thought of primer as a white solid and not the acid/bleach cleaner wood cleaner. Glad you clarified that. Yeah I know they say to use a paint stripper but I just don't feel up to it and HD guy said wasn't necessary.

Meta, it has been my experience that those working at home depot are the ones that cant cut it in the real world and have limited experience or give out knowlege that is often times incorrect.

Anytime you have paint left on a surface, that is not adheared to the surface well, you have a high potential for continued peeling. Especially with multiple layers.

If air or moisture gets trapped between the surface and the new paint it is going to expand and contract with the temperature. Guess what happens then? Yup. More peeling and cracking.

Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**