Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP

The indicator light on my lift master 1260 blinks 5 times,

The indicator light on my lift master 1260 blinks 5 times, remains unlit for a few seconds then blinks again 5 times. The opener will not operate but I can hear it clinking as if sending a signal to begin opening or closing. The light bulbs do not turn on either.

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.

If the door is stuck open, verify that the trolley is not stuck on the bolt located near the motor unit. If it is, simply dislodge it from the bolt and reset limits to stop the trolley before it hits the bolt.

5 flashes means that either the motor has overheated/ stuck or the RPM sensor needs to be replaced. You would need to first, unplug the unit to reset and then plug back in. Then try to operate the opener and check for any flashing lights. If the unit still flashes 5 times and the motor unit moves 6-8 inches, replace the RPM sensor. If motor unit does not operate, the unit has overheated again. Wait 30 minutes and retry.

If it still doesn't operate then you will need to replace the logic board.....unfortunately it will cost around $70.00 (average price). A clicking noise, in addition, typically means a bad logic board. If the opener is older than 10 years I would recommend spending that money towards a new opener. On the plus side, today's opener technology is better and safer.

Sorry for the bad news. If you are satisfied with this answer please leave me a positive rating at your convenience.