Cerecita
Cerecita, Home Improvement Answer Team
Experience:  Home Improvement Expert
1470369

If I think that there might be some brown recluse spiders in

If I think that there might be some brown recluse spiders in my house, what should or could I do to get rid of all of them? How can one keep brown recluse spiders out of one's house? What attracts them to a house? What discourages them from a house? Thank you.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Cerecita replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Jaime and welcome back to Just Answer.

Have you seen any brown recluse spiders in particular locations in your house? If so, where were they?

What have you tried so far, if anything?

Thanks for all your additional detail.
Cher
Expert:  Cerecita replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Jaime.

I noticed that you are now offline, so I will send an answer and if you have any further questions, just click 'Reply', direct your reply to me "For Cher", and I will be glad to help you further.

Brown recluse spiders like to hide/live in dark places, outside the home, in piles of firewood or other lumber, heavy vegetation, and tall grasses, so make sure to remove these items if this situation is applicable.

Vacuuming frequently in the area(s) in your home where you see the spiders will successfully remove them and their egg sacs, but it's important that you take out the vacuum bag immediately, wrap it in a plastic bag securely, and throw it out, in a garbage receptacle out of your house.

They can get inside through cracks in the foundation, walls, roof, etc., so make sure all cracks/holes are sealed up. They can be killed off by chemical insecticides and other methods, which you can read more about here: Getting rid of spiders

As you may know, brown recluse spiders are venomous, so if you (or any pets) should get bitten, seek medical treatment, immediately.

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back before rating and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions. If my response has satisfied all your concerns, a positive rating and positive feedback on the survey would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher" and I will respond as soon as possible.

Thank you for entrusting your important question to Just Answer!

Warmest regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If it was brown recluse spiders that I saw, I have seen them on the ceiling in the hall, in the kitchen, in the family room, in the bathroom, in the bedroom, in the garage, and near the water fountain in the family room.

I talked to the owner of the company that fumigates my house, but she never got back with me.

It doesn't pay to have a beautiful yard, does it?

Expert:  Cerecita replied 1 year ago.

Hi again, Jaime and thanks for your reply with additional and helpful information.

Wow! If you have seen them in all those areas in your house, it sounds like you do have an infestation and I'm sorry to hear this. If you're not sure if they are brown recluse spiders, an experienced, licensed exterminator would be the best person to identify the species. Here are pictures and additional information, for your reference: Brown Recluse

If the owner of the company that fumigates your house did not return your call, call another company that will help address your problem more promptly, unless you are under contract with this other company and must only use them.

A good exterminator will not only rid your home of these spiders, but will also check where they are nesting inside and outside, and how they are getting into the house, so then you know where to seal up any openings.

Yes, unfortunately, you're right, sometimes it's doesn't pay to have a beautiful yard if it attracts unwanted 'guests'; but I'm sure with the expertise of the right people you will be able to conquer this problem and keep your yard beautiful.

Warmest regards,
Cher

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have looked in the internet before, and all I could say is that the spiders I have seen look very similar to the internet pictures; I just never take the time to see if they have a violin mark on them. Anyway, my kitchen was at one time remodeled/renovated as well as my bathroom. Additionally, my house was also expanded. Where a bedroom with a window that led to the backyard once was, that was expanded into a hallway that has another bedroom and the hallway also leads to some stairs that lead to another bedroom upstairs. In other words, the space that consists of the hallway, the new bedroom, the stairs, and the upstairs bedroom used to be space that belonged to the backyard. Could this expansion and remodeling/renovating have led to this problem? I believe before all of this home improvement, there were a lot of roaches, but I don't remember ever seeing these spiders. However, I believe ever since after all of this home improvement was completed, I hardly ever see roaches; however, I have seen about 14 or 15 of these spiders.

Expert:  Cerecita replied 1 year ago.

Hi again, Jaime and thanks for your reply with further explanation.

Yes, I do believe that the renovations/additions in this particular area of the house may have contributed to the spider problem, due to the fact that spiders' nests in the back yard may have been disturbed. In addition, any renovation/construction disturbances of existing conditions typically cause an attraction of insects and spiders.

I'm glad to hear that you no longer see many roaches, but the spiders may be taking care of those for you. However, if they are brown recluses, you need to get rid of them because they are poisonous. You need a good exterminator to rid your beautiful, newly renovated home of all pests, including roaches and spiders.

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back before rating, direct your reply to me, "Cher" and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions. If my response has satisfied all your concerns, a positive rating and positive feedback on the survey would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! : )

If you would like to request me to answer any new, future questions, please begin your post with "For Cher" and I will respond as soon as I can. Thank you!

Warmest regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If fumigation that would get rid of all of these spiders is done, would it be the type of fumigation where I would have to go to a hotel for a certain period of time before returning home? If so, for about how long? Thank you.

Expert:  Cerecita replied 1 year ago.

Hi again, Jaime and thanks for your reply; also thanks for your patience, as my internet went out temporarily.

These may not be brown recluse spiders at all, because this type of spider doesn't just 'hang around' the home, especially during the day and especially when there are people present. They are shy and avoid humans. They are nocturnal and favor dark, dry areas like basements, attics and garages. They can go for months without food or water. They don't spin webs like other spiders, so if you see the spiders in your house in their webs, they are not brown recluses.

First, it is most important to find out what kind of spider you are dealing with by having it identified by an experienced exterminator; the species will most likely affect the choice of treatment and whether or not you will need to leave your house.

There are traps for these types of spiders, which you can put up in your home, yourself, but the only drawback is that the traps contain an attractant which may bring in more spiders; of course, they will be killed once on/in the trap, but you also don't want to hang a 'welcome spiders' sign above your door.

This will be helpful: http://brownreclusespider.com/traps.htm You don't have to go with this particular brand, but ask in your local hardware or home improvement store if they carry these glue traps for brown recluse spiders.

If this is not the type of spider you're dealing with, as I mentioned, you'll need to have it identified so the extermination method will be appropriate. Depending on the species of spider and type of fumigation used, will determine if you need to leave your house and live elsewhere for a prescribed period of time. Let's hope this is not the case!

If you need any additional information or clarification, simply 'Reply' back before rating, direct your reply to me, "Cher" and I will be happy to help with any follow up questions. If my response has satisfied all your concerns, a positive rating and positive feedback on the survey would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Laughing

Warmest regards,
Cher
Cerecita, Home Improvement Answer Team
Experience: Home Improvement Expert
Expert:  Cerecita replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Jaime and thanks very much for your excellent rating; it is truly appreciated!

I hope your problem is resolved soon and please post back with any updates or additional questions.

Best regards,
Cher