The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

according to Broward County (Florida) Glazing Contractor (GITS)

according to Broward County (Florida) Glazing Contractor (GITS) License description :

"Glazing Category--Class "G": The scope of work of a Class "G" specialty building contractor shall include and be limited to the fabrication, installation, and attachment of all types of windows, whether fixed or movable; the installation of swinging or sliding glass doors to existing building walls or columns; the installation of glass-holding or supporting mullions, or horizontal bars which are attached to existing building walls or columns; and the cutting and installation of glass and mirrors. A Class "G" specialty building contractor may also include the installation of metal accessories and prefabricated glass, metal, or plastic curtain walls or panels; caulking incidental to all such work; and fabrication and installation of shower and tub enclosure doors and metal fascias. In order to be eligible to be certified as a Class "G" specialty building contractor by the board, the applicant shall have at least three (3) years of practical experience in the category"

Does that mean that G license holder can install EXTERIOR SOLID DOORS"
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer.

Unfortunately it only applies to glass doors. Of course you can argue that the doors are within the perview of this license if there is glass in the door.

Other than that no you can not install solid wooden doors.

Please let me know if you have any other concerns.

If not please select a positive rating at this time. It will not close your question and you may ask all the follow up questions you like after you rate my service.

Thank you. Best, Smitty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would happen if the G license contractor apply for the permit to install them ?would his application be denied ?
Probably not. You are talking about two completely different government entities here. The state licensing comission and the inspectors office.
The state is the entity that is concerned about the license aspect. The inspectors office probably couldnt care less about the installer having a license to install the door so long as it is done to code and meets all industry standards.
Rachel, there is also the possibility that the local area has its own regulations. You would have to contact the local authorities about that though.
Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
If not please rate my services before you log off.
Thank you.
Best, S,mitty
The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience: #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Smithy,

interesting information!!!

So the city building division can still allow the contractor to do the work regardless if he holds the appropriate license for that scope of work or not, is that correct ? I thought contractors can do that only if they hired subcontractors who have a windows and doors license ?

and when you said "The inspectors office probably couldn't care less about the installer having a license to install the door so long as it is done to code and meets all industry standards. ", is that a building department oversight due to not verifying his license, or is it a standard that they will let installers get away with this kind of things?

one more thing, class G license is a county not a State license, and when I reached out to the county for clarification if he is allowed to install steel front doors, their justification was that this is a gray area due to the following statement in the license work scope description" the installation of swinging or sliding glass doors to existing building walls or columns"

To me, this is very clear and as you said, his license is limited to glazing and glass doors and he shouldn't install solid doors. am I correct?

Thanks

I am sorry for the confusion, Rachel.

No the city can not overide the countys licensing requirements. My point being that the city inspectors are not going to ask for his license when they come out to inspect the job.

If pulling the permits requires that the person submitting them be licensed then the correct license will be required. They will not let a class G licensee pull permits for anything out of their class. They can hire a sub contractor to pull the permits and do the work. That is between the (general) contractor and the customer, howevewr if the sub pulls the permits then he isnt really a sub contractor as he becomes the contractor of record for that (part of) the job.

For this person to hire sub contractors he must have a general contractors license so that shoots that out of the water so to speak. The customer can hire a sub but they wouldnt be a sub in that case. Are you completely confused yet?

Basically the class G license allows you to do glaziers work and nothing more. Wood, metal, and glass doors fall under the general, doors, and rough framing class here in California, but we are wierd anyways.

Yes, Rachel you are correct. Glass only, no wood, or steel.

Personal opinion here ... If the work is done right, who cares!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

that is the issue Smithy.

the job wasn't done right. Installer delivered Shoddy and horrible poor workmanship and failed the inspection many times, he still didn't pass the final inspection. Now I found out that he has a class G license which according to the category scope of work included in my first message doesn't qualify him to do this kind of job. I am talking about 5 exterior doors (duplex) not one or two.

Now, both the city and the county folks are giving me the runaround, and no one in either entity is giving me a straight answer or able to define class G scope of work and they keep saying it is a GRAY AREA and that they have to take it to the county board to decide.

This delay is very inconvenient because I don't believe I should let him go back to correct (or mess up again)the issue if he doesn't carry the right license, am I wrong ?

If he has failed multiple inspections then he obviously doesnt know what he is doing. No you should not let him back on the job site. If it were me I would have thrown him off the site a long time ago, license or not!!
Unfortunately your only option is to hire another contractor to do it right, and then sue him for the cost.
Hopefully you have not paid him for the job.
The Home Smithy, Home Builder