The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

I just had this happen to me. I think I can clean the inner

I just had this happen to me. I think I can clean the inner part of the oven ok, but the part I'm most concerned about is now the glass is foggy, like a fire stove's glass coverered in creosote. I'm wondering if anything will help clean that or will I need to get out a razor blade? Can't believe I did this. It's a double oven too, the top one, so I can barely reach into it all the way without a stepladder. Do you think running another cycle would help - or make it worse?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Rachel. Welcome to Just Answer.

No, running another cycle will not help. The razor blade is your best hope I'm sorry to say.

If the razor blade does not get the film off there is another method that will work, albeit a bit drastic. Go to an auto body shop and ask if they have a sheet of 2000 grit wet and dry sanding paper. This is a very fine grit sanding paper and will not harm the glass. It is so fine that you can polish out scratches in glasses with it.

Keep the surface wet at all times. The wetter the better, and easier, it is to remove the film.

This will take some time and a little elbow grease to accomplish , but the results are worth it.

Please let me know if you have any other concerns. If not pleas select a positive rating. Rating my service will not close your question and you may ask all the foillow up questions you like after you rate me.

Thank you.

Best, Smitty

The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience: #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. So . . . . someone at work suggested 4oooo steel wool. Which is easier to get and would work best for the scratching. The same co-worker who suggested the steel wool felt the razor blade might scratch the glass.

About keeping it wet . . . well of course these things always happen at the ideal time and we're going out of town for the weekend. Should I do something to try to keep it wet while we're gone -- or just make sure it is wet when I return to actually do the work.