The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

Hello everyone. I want to file a homeowners insurance claim,

Hello everyone. I want to file a homeowners insurance claim, but am not sure in which order I should proclaim my home's deficiencies in? I want to get the most home improvements done possible through my insurance company. But I also don"t want to file a claim that might not get approved. My home is wooden and was built in 1955. There is rotten wood and structural damage due to plumbing issues that has caused my home to become unleveled. Also a natural gas line is in bad condition due to the fact the house has shifted. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, but not sure if justanswer.com has a spot for this type of question either?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  zdnlaw replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

You need to go ahead and submit all the damage for which you believe there is coverage at the same time. In fact, if you know of the damage for which there may be coverage and you do not submit a claim for it, this can waive your right to coverage for the damage.

You should also think about having contractors come out and do an assessment of the damage and give you an idea of the cause and how much it will cost to include in your claim submission. Having a professional opinion to back up your claim is always wise and will give you more credibility.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
ZDN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your time first of all. Yesterday I started having problems with the website, one of the home improvement experts was actually ready to answer my question, next thing I know the website said I had read your answer when I just actually just read it today to try and get you this message. also I've been waiting on customer support to help with the issue but they haven't responded. I know I could ask you to pass the question along, but is it too late for that? And of course i could still rate you kindly.

Francisco

Expert:  zdnlaw replied 1 year ago.
Hi Francisco,

It is not too late. I'll pass you forward to a home improvement expert.

-ZDN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you!

Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Francisco. Welcome to Just Answer.
What you need to do is first find out exactly what your insurance policy coveres and what it doesn't. All is spelled out in your policy, albeit it is legalese most times. There may be a claus that says that foundation settlement is not covered, or structural damage due to plumbing leaks. Of course those are just examples. There is a good possibility that there is something about letting a noticable condition go without repaior until structural damage has occured. That determination is up to the insurer and the adjuster that they will send out to inspect the damage.
To begin this process you should first read, and understand, your policy. Then determine what is damaged in your home that falls within the boundrys of the policy. Once you know what these things are contact your insurance company and advise them that you have a claim and they will send out an adjuster to inspect the damage. You then get bids from local contractors to do the work. The insurance company tells you what they will cover and you submit the bid amount(s). They cut you a check and you have the work done.
Please let me know if you need anything else. If not please select a positive rating. This will not close your question and you may ask all the followup questions you like after you rate my service.
Thank you.
Best, Smitty

How are you doing with your claim, Fransisco? Anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Smithy

I still need to file, but I've been so busy and still not sure what to do. I think I will do some of the work myself if I have too.

The claim I will file is for a leak I had in the shower, it caused my floor and wall to rot in the restroom and another bedroom. BUT I already fixed the leak myself last year. I have slow drain lines also which has lead to a gnat infestations during the last 2 summers. I have trying snaking them myself and believe there are several broken sections in the lines. The natural gas line being in a bind and the house being unlevel are the other issues too...but I still do not know if those are covered. Also want to get a few windows replaced because of broken glass which is covered. My goal is to just file one claim, can all this be done at once?? Or what should be priority??

Thank you, Francisco

Francisco, what you can do is just file for everything and the insurance company will tell you what they will not cover. Any way you approach this the insurance company is going to have the final say in the matter.

I strongly suggest you read and understand your complete policy before you file. You will have a better understanding about what they will cover and what they will not, as well as the filing procedures. Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**

The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience: #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience