Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I have a Legacy garage door opener. when initially pushing the button to open the door, t

I have a Legacy garage door opener.
when initially pushing the button to open the door, there is a buzzing sound as though the r
door is trying to open, but doesnt. I open the door manully by pulling the release cord, and open the door manually. i then re-engage the manual release cord.
when i push the button to close the door is will close. when i push it again, it opens. however, after the door opens/closes for a cycle, the initial problem occurs. there is a buzz as though the door is trying to open but doesnt.
what is the possible cause of this [problem.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.

Sorry to hear about your garage door opener problem.

The humming/ buzzing noise typically means that you need a new start capacitor inside the motor unit. It is probably starting to go. It can also be that the plastic gears are stripped or binding.

You will need to unplug and remove the cover off the motor unit to inspect the gears. You can also inspect the capacitor to see if it is bulging or leaking fluid.

Another possible cause for the buzzing noise can be that the opener may be trying too hard to open the door either because the spring(s) is weak or broken or the tracks/ rollers are bent or need lubricating.

The opener does not do the heavy lifting of the door, the spring(s) does all the work, the opener just aids in moving the door open. I would verify that the cables to the springs are still on the pulleys (if you have this type). I would also verify that the door is not going up slightly crooked, just enough to bind.

You can perform the following tests:

First, I would close the door and then disconnect the door from the trolley and operate the door manually. The door NEEDS to roll smoothly and not bind on anything and it NEEDS to be balanced and stay at any point you stop it. If the door wants to go down by itself the springs are weak/ broken and at fault; have a qualified service technician fix/ adjust them...they can be very dangerous to work with since they are under extreme tension.

Second, operate the opener without the door attached and see if it operates correctly. The trolley will fully go up and down if working properly.

Performing these tests will help narrow down whether the door/ tracks or the motor unit is giving you the problem. But my gut feeling is you need a new start capacitor.

If you need further help or clarification on this answer, please do not hesitate to reply to this post.

If you are satisfied with this answer please leave me a positive rating at your convenience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Brian,

I disengaged the door and opened and closed it manually, the door remains in place wherever I stop it. so it seems the springs are good.

again the door disengaged, I push the button and the chain rotates thru its cycle.

It appears that when I put a load (the door engaged), the problem occurs.

it may be the capacitor. i will check it and replace it at first chance.

again thanks for your help.

Sounds good Rich. With the additional information you provided, it sounds like the start capacitor. Good luck with it.