The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience

I need to remove the grout from around the very top of my tub

I need to remove the grout from around the very top of my tub where it meets the tile grut line. Stained by mold. I have the setup to remove grout with my Dremel but it is for flat surfaces only. The upper lip of the tub eliminates that setup. Ant suggestions?
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer.
If you are looking for an automated method there is a tile grout removing tool made for sawsalls. The only disadvantage is it is at times difficult to control and can damage the tub if you are not real careful.
Other than that there are hand operated grout removal tools available at all big box home improvement centers and most hardware stores. They require quite a bit of elbow grease but are safer to use than the sawsall blades.
Personally I have a good steady hand and I do this with a dremmel and a diamond bit. If you are careful this is the way to go in my opinion.
Please let me know if you need anytthing else.
Best, Smitty
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Any idea which type of Diamond bit you use, Smitty?

I just happen to have one here on my desk. Give me a few minuets and Ill post a picture of it
Figures. Batterys went out just as I tried to take the picture.
There are three bits I use when doing tile grout removal. All are diamond tipped. You can get them at Harbor Freight or any hardware store.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have the one on the right. Surprised to see the middle one as it is so blunt but will try it.

It is 1/8" wide. Just about the size of most grout lines. I start with the one on the right, to cut a path for the next one to follow, and then finish with the one in the middle. If the grout is wider I use the one on the left.