The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

Is PL 400 a good adhesive to glue down drip edge to new plywood.

Is PL 400 a good adhesive to glue down drip edge to new plywood. I am building a replacement roof . What length nails do you recommend. I do like pl 400 idea
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer.

I am sorry but PL400 is not designed to hold metal. It is designed to glue wood products together.

Drip flashing is simply nailed down to the roof sheathing. About 1 roofing nail every 2' is sufficient.

What seals the flashing is the roofing material on top of it. You use what is called starter strips or tiles turned upside down under the flashing along with the tar paper. When you place the first course of tiles or rolled material on top there is a bitumen strip that adhears to the starter tiles and completes the edge seal.

How did the warped lumber turn out? Were you able to get it streightened out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well I set two pieces 22 ft long sepertaed with about 3 15 inch 2x6's and then squeezed the spacers together with adjustable clamps . This took a lot of the twist out enough that i was able to use them for the roof rafters inmstead of having to buy 4 more at over 25.00 each. I am using modified Bitumen self sticking. After laying down the first width I need to know where I start measuring for chalk line and how many inches . Concerning the drip edge do you mean there is a layer between the plywood and the metal drip edge . Dosen't the roofing cover the top of the strip? Ill leave a 5.oo tip when we are thru

This will illustrate how to set the snap lines.

graphic

If that is what you are using then you just nail the drip edge to the sheathing. Nothing goes under it. If you like you can put a bead of Henrys under it but it isnt needed. The bitumen will self seal the top of the drip edge.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Best, Smitty

Looking at the warped board question I noticed that you have not rated it yet. If you rated it please let me know as it is not showing as such on my end.

Thank you.

The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience: #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I answered the warp ? and left 5.00, I left 5.00 for this ?

Thank you Bill. I will check the question again to see if the accept processed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The roof has 15 sheets of 4x8 5/8 exterior plywood now naile down. I did not make them lay square in relation to the roof rafters. With the first course I need to get it straight but my problem is what can I use for a starting poin t from the end of the roof ? The plywood sheets are not close to being square ly nailed in relation to the roof rafters. If I used the ends of the sheets and just measured say 1 inch I can;t get a straight line from one corner to the other corner because the plywood sheets are not in perfect alignment from one corner to another corner. As for the diagram , thanks It helps but if the roofing is 36 " wide and this is considered A and the overlap is 6" or B then area C will be 30 inches wide. Do i snap a line at the 30" mark. The diagram show distance a minus distance b which would leave a width shorter than the distance A and thus less width than c as marked in then diagram/ Clarification please, Thanks

Okay. If the roofing material is 36" wide and the overlap is 6" then what you do is lay the first course and then measure up 30" from the top of that piece and snap your line at that point. You can then measure 30" up from the snapped line for the next snap line ands so on and so forth.

If you want to be sure that the first course is streight acrost the roof just measure up 36" and snap a line at that point. You can then measure up 30" from there and snap your second course line etc, etc.

As for perfect alignment dont worry too much about that. Just snap your lines and go by them. Dont try to match the lines of the sheathing.

Giove me a few and Ill do another drawing for you.

The Home Smithy, Home Builder

Okay, Bill. This should help.

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please reload picture from saturday june 15th at 12:08 EST. Picture not comming thru on my end.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The drip edges are now down. On my shingle roof (not part of this job) the shingles extend an inch past the drip edges. Would you extend the roll roofing an inch past these drip edges? Would you make them flush with the drip edge? as for the drawing I snap my chalk line from one corner to the other and start the edge of the first course flush and even with the chalk line. Is that the correct way to read your drawing?

-Roofers call it "hanging a knuckle". Rather than measuring every tile on th estarter course they put their index finger against the drip flashing and set the tile to the first knuckle. Yes it is about 3/4" to 1".
As for the drawing you are correct. Measure up the width of the material at each corner and snap your line between them. If the material hangs over differently then just trim it later.
The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you mean they leave about 1 inch drip flashing exposed? I was talking about going i inch over the edge of the drip flashing. I could make the roofing flush with the drip edge. Which do you prefer?

Bill you need to hang the roofing material over the edge of the drip flashing at least 3/4".
The Home Smithy, Home Builder