Dr. Fix-It
Dr. Fix-It , Handyman
Experience:  Work on all parts of home construction & maintenance
2926636

This is an electrical question, I have an outdoor pond that

This is an electrical question, I have an outdoor pond that uses a pump that indicates it uses 1amp, 120 watts, 120v. I want to add a uv lamp to the circuit off the same outlet, it's a normal 120v line, it is controlled by a GFI. I don't have much else on this line except my coffee maker (only on for a few mn a day, and my house phone) can I add the uv lamp to this circuit without overloading it? There is one line running out to the pond and the pump is hardwired. Would it be ok to bundle the lines together or should I split the line and wire them separately, they will both need to be hardwired.

Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Dr. Fix-It replied 3 years ago.

Hi I am Dr.Fix-It, Your online expert ready to assist you...

`

Thanks for your inquiry, a typical household outlet will be connected to a circuit breaker rated at 15 to 20 amps, so have plenty of room to add the UV lamp to your existing line without having to worry about overloading it. (1amp for the pump + 6-8amps for the coffee maker + 1amp for the phone + 3amps for the UV lamp = max 13 full load amps)

`

Let me know if have any more concerns on this issue with a reply...

`

Please only rate my answer ok, great, or EXCELLENT after we have worked on the issue together to your satisfaction. Bonuses are welcomed & appreciated. Thank You . . . "

Dr-Fix-It-Advise.com

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much, one additional question,right now I have the +, -, and G, hard wired withtwist caps in a box, can I add the +,-,and G from the lamp to the twisted pair ? Or do I have to wire it differently ?

Hi Kevin Yes can splice the new UV light wires with the existing pump wires in the box with the caps, if tight fit now, can pick up some larger wire nuts too. The wires from your home GFI to the pond for the 120vac should have black for + (positive) , the white would be the neutral - (since talking about AC voltage not really negative just the return path of the alternating supply), and the bare copper or green wire would be the G (ground).

`

`

Make sure to switch off the circuit breaker before working on the electrical wiring and make sure all connections secured... After have capped off all connections make sure no wires pull out and then use electrical tape to secure the wires with the cap to help keep them in place.

`

reference > http://howto.homedepot.com/videos/watch/111686454001/Electrical-101-Simple-Wiring-You-Can-Do.html

`

Hope that helps and enjoy the fish pond :)

`

Please rate my answer EXCELLENT now since we have worked on the issue together to your satisfaction. Bonuses are welcomed & appreciated. Thank You. . . Remember Dr.Fix-It on any future inquires > http://www.dr-fix-it-advise.com/ <