Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired contractor, 51 years experience
23932409

I have composite decking and a really nasty oil stain on it.

Customer Question

I have composite decking and a really nasty oil stain on it. What can I do to remove it? The guys at Home Depot gave me outdoor Clorox. Will that work?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Welcome back!.

First wash throughly with soapy water, then mix up a cup full of tide with bleach powdered detergent so its the consistency of pea soup and spread that over the stain...then lay a sopping wet bath towel over it, folded so its 4 or 5 layers thick... then lay a sheet of plastic over the top of that and let it sit for two days.

Then remove all that, scrub the area with hot water and rinse, when it dries sand lightly with 200 grit sand paper.. blend in the stained are with the surrounding area.

That will be about the best you can do.

You may want to try this on a tiny spot somewhere else on the deck to see the process damages or bleaches the decking...it should not, but it never hurts to check.

Let me know how it goes, we can proceed from there.

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: Retired contractor, 51 years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did that and nothing improved. If I power wash it professionally do I have a shot?

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, I am sorry to hear that.

The oil has penetrated into the decking material apparently.
If soaking with a tide detergent poultice didn't affect it, nothing will.

There is less than a 1% chance that any sort of pressure washing will help unfortunately since it only affects the surface.

You might try a steam iron on it until you get the boards real hot...You could also stop by the auto supply store and buy a can of 'gunk' de-greaser.. use it after you pour a few gallons of boiling water over the stain, let it set for a while then pour another few gallons of boiler water over it.

Let me know if you get any result at all with it, we can go from there.

Phil