Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I moved into a house where the previous owner had lost the

Customer Question

I moved into a house where the previous owner had lost the code to the Craftsman outdoor keypad (139.53684). I have access to the opener and also have a deluxe keypad inside the garage. No matter what I do with this outside keypad after entering any codes to reset it, it just blinks on and off for about 15 seconds. I have cleared the codes on the opener itself and then entered new codes on the remote (holding the enter button) to no avail. I have tried entering the code while simultaneously holding the enter, and the grey and light buttons on the deluxe inside controller, to no avail. In short, I have tried every process I can find online to reset the code, but nothing works. Do you have any suggestions?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Brian replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.

Sorry to hear about your problem with your opener.

If you are programming it correctly and it still doesn't work then the keyless pad is most likely defective, especially if the handheld remotes are capable of programming.

Typically you press the LEARN button and then enter the 4 digits you prefer and then hit enter on the keyless pad. Sometimes the keyless pad can get corroded from being outdoors and then it would need to be replaced. Also, verify that you installed a new battery in it. You can purchase a new pad online at any garage door parts website. Just have the make and model number of the motor unit with you, so that you get the correct one.

If you are satisfied with this answer please leave me a positive rating at your convenience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply. Two things I left out. I have two of the same keypads. Both have brand new batteries and both are reacting the exact same way. It is for this reason that I feel comfortable ruling out the corrosion as a culprit. The keypads both light and respond to keypad entry. The handheld remotes are programmed in a completely different manner, so the fact that they program shouldn't have anything to do with the keypad programming. I'm just looking for something that I haven't already tried.

Expert:  Brian replied 3 years ago.
Well the keyless pad is basically a remote. I know they are programmed differently than the remotes, but if the remotes are showing that they can be programmed....that rules out any issues with the motor unit not being able to program a "remote device."

It appears that the motor unit can program successfully so the issue is not with the motor unit but with the keyless pads. Since you have two and they are both not working, then you are correct, it probably is not corrosion.

If you have never seen these keyless pads work, since you are new to this house, my next step would be to verify that they are compatible with the motor unit. There is a chance that the previous home owner bought the wrong ones and they are not made for that opener. It would be nice to rule this out as a possibility so I would find the model number of the keyless pads and see if it is the correct model number for your motor unit.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

According to the real estate agent, they did work on their walkthrough. I actually have the paper work from six years ago where the installation was done by the contractor (who is now out of business) when the garage was built and itemizes the two keypads, so compatibility is also one of those things that I have to rule out. There were about four different methods online about how to program these things and I tried them all. I'm just wondering if there are a couple more that I don't know about.

Expert:  Brian replied 3 years ago.

Well I would verify that they are the correct ones first of all. If you provide me with the model number off the motor unit, I can check that for you.

The only method to program them is the instructions that are provided for those keyless pads. I know you have probably seen them already, but I've attached it below. Verify that you are programming with two people. You cannot hold all the buttons alone.

The only other thing it could be, if they are not defective or the wrong ones, is the distance to the motor unit/ antenna. Verify that they are installed within view of the opener and verify that the antenna on the motor unit is hanging straight down.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yep, those are the instructions I used as I also had a copy that I got off of the internet. I actually removed both units from their mounted position and was able to hold all three buttons myself inside the garage. There is something I'm not doing with an already programmed remote. I just can't figure out what it is.

Expert:  Brian replied 3 years ago.
There is one other thing we can try, if you haven't already. Erase all codes and then try programming just one of the keyless pads. See if it works. If not, erase all codes and try programming the other keyless pad. See if it works.

I'm having you try this because I have seen in the past where a defective remote (including keyless pads) interferes with the remaining remotes. The defective remote will not appear defective because it is programmable, but what happens is the defective remote reverts back to an older technology of sending signals and it confuses the motor unit which then blocks the other remotes from working.

I know it sounds confusing but it may be worth a try....some process of elimination. The key is to get one of the keypads programmed from a clean slate though.