Brian
Brian, Architect
Experience:  Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
6457309

I was recently changing a light bulb in my Craftsman garage

Customer Question

I was recently changing a light bulb in my Craftsman garage door opener (Model 139.53975SRT1) and created a short in the process. A spark shot from the socket and the opener stopped functioning. I checked the circuit breaker and all were fine. The door opener was still getting power, so I went through the required steps to clear all codes and re-program the door remote control and wall control. This was done correctly, but there is only clicking in the opener when I push either the remote control remote or wall switch buttons. The light next to the SRT button flashes 5 times in cycle, thus supposedly indicating an RPM sensor or motor overload. I allowed the opener to sit for well over 15 minutes before testing again but no luck. My question is: "Did I fry something in the circuit board or is there some other 'reset' process that I am overlooking?" The safety sensor lights are lit and appear to be functioning. Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today.

Sorry to hear about the problem with your opener.

Yes, the 5 flashes is either the RPM sensor or the logic board. Since you let it rest for 15 minutes and tried again without success, the logic board is bad.

Unfortunately a new one will cost around $70. If the opener is older than 10 years then I recommend putting that money towards a new opener. If you decide to purchase a new board, you can do this online from a garage door parts website. They are relatively easy to install yourself; it basically just plugs in.

If you are satisfied with this answer please leave me a positive rating at your convenience.
Brian, Architect
Experience: Licensed Architect- 17 years, L.E.E.D. AP
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your response, Brian. My opener is around 10 years old, so it appears that it's time to start shopping for a newer, quieter model. Thanks again.

Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mark,

Yes, I would put that money towards a new one myself. You will enjoy the latest technology and safety features that the new ones offer. Good luck with it!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Brian:

I purchased a new Chamberlain belt drive garage door opener, and it was well worth the investment versus trying to fix the old opener. The belt drive is so smooth and very quiet. Thanks for your assistance and for the advice on buying a new opener.

Expert:  Brian replied 1 year ago.

Great to hear it Mark! Glad you went with the new one too. Good luck with everything and thanks for the update!