urelectrician, Contractor
Experience:  Certified Construction Manager & Licensed Electrician

What is the estimated cost of installing a 5000 amp hour solar

What is the estimated cost of installing a 5000 amp hour solar system? Including Solar panels, batteries, inverter etc?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  urelectrician replied 2 years ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your home improvement or electrical question

1) A 5000 amp hour system is a large system and that's a lot of batteries. The batteries on a solar system are rated in amp hours. The overall photo-voltaic (PV) system is measured in wattage or watts. Typically measured in kW or thousands of watts. Solar estimates are generally calculated in kW and not in battery amp hours.

2) Is the 5000 number amp hours or is it wattage?

3) Will this PV system be installed as an Off-Grid or a Grid-Tied system?

4) Is this system for residential use?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is for 5000 amp hours/ day, off grid residential use....including an electric fridge and freezer.

1) Greg.... how many volts will the batteries be?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1) Any estimate on the total output wattage of the system?

2) Do you plan on running the 12VDC Batteries in series strings of 24 or 48 volts?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Probably run it in series strings of 24volts.

Let's 25,000 Watt hours per day....and I'll extrapolate from there.

1) Yes, you can either run the 12VDC batteries in series to form the 24VDC battery parallel banks or you can purchase 24VDC batteries and combine them in parallel.

2) Budgetary installed pricing with labor and materials is approximately $8 per watt. This cost can vary depending upon your location. In states where PV is common, the $8 per watt is a good number. In states where PV installs are not that common, the cost per watt can go up to $10 or $11 per watt. The cost of the panels have somewhat decreased over the last 5 years since PV is becoming more common as an alternative energy use. Common panel wattages typically range from 150 watts to 300 watts per panel.

3) If you are looking to have a rack mount system installed on a roof, I would add an additional $1 or so per watt due to the additional labor required for roof mounts. The higher the roof and the more slope the roof has, higher labor costs will prevail. A ground mounted system will be more cost effective due to a quicker installation time.

4) Even though your system will be Off-Grid, you still may be eligible for incentives from the United States Department of Energy. Depending upon what state you reside in, they have many rebates, loans and grant programs for various forms of renewable energy.

Check out the link below for your review:

5) I would recommend on having a NABCEP certified technician who is also a licensed electrician install your system. NABCEP is an organization for certifying solar technicians. Many installers out there are NABCEP certified which is good, however, I would also recommend that they be a licensed electrician due to conduit sizing, voltage drops, disconnect switches, proper grounding, etc. Many NABCEP tech's are not licensed electricians and they may not be intimate with the 2011 National Electrical Code. Try to find a tech who is both NABCEP Certified as well as being a licensed electrician.

In addition, I would also recommend that you review your PV installation with your local Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ). The AHJ is your local building and/or electrical inspector. Local building codes will always prevail, thus always good to meet with the AHJ in order to keep everyone on a level playing field.

The NABCEP website can also assist you with certified tech's in your area. I would recommend obtaining 3 different proposals. Make sure the installer or company is licensed, bonded and insured. References from previous customers are always a good thing.

See NABCEP link below:

Hope this helps.........If you have any additional questions, let me know and I'll be glad to answer them for you.

Otherwise, don't forget to rate me before you log Off.

The next time you have an electrical question, you can also request for me at:

urelectrician, Contractor
Experience: Certified Construction Manager & Licensed Electrician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. Very helpful.

Greg..... thank you for the excellent rating ..... much appreciated and glad I could assist!

If you have any other questions, just let me know. In addition to being a licensed electrical contractor, I'm also certified for Off-Grid and Grid-Tied PV systems.

Take care and have a great evening...............Thanks...............Kevin!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.