The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

I noticed a hole in the ground near the outside wall of my

I noticed a hole in the ground near the outside wall of my garage foundation which just became apparent within the last week-also, I have noticed that my garage floor has a crack across the middle of my garage floor that has become much more evident in the last year. My garage floor is noticably higher than the drive that meets it. My house is 45 years old. The garage is a one car and it is attached to my home. Just about 1 and 1/2 years ago I had a radon mitigator installed and they drilled into the lower sidewall of my basement to install the mitigator-who should I call about the hole so I can find out what is going on-what do you think is possibly going on and who should I call to determine what is causing the hole to suddenly show up-could it be drainage problem? I had new gutters installed last year on the garage front and back and need to find out who could be the best to call
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer.

Anytime the soil near a foundation begins to fall away or sink it is cause for concern. It could be ground setteling, water run off washing the soil away (either above or below ground) or even the beginnings of a sink hole.

The best course of action in cases like this is to have a soils engineer come out and have a look at it. There are tests they can do to determine the compaction of the soil and whether there are voids below the ground surface.

Although this can be a bit expensive it is money well spent considering the possible damage that can occure if the issue is not addressed.

If it is just soil setteling then usually just a little compaction work and back filling the spot will be fine. Anything more than that you will just have to see what the engineer has to say.

Please let me knoiw if you have additional concerns.

Best, Smitty

The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience: #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience