Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired contractor, 51 years experience
23932409

I am planning to sand and repaint the main door. Can you provide

Customer Question

I am planning to sand and repaint the main door. Can you provide me the best ways and tools needed to do this.
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  Phil replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer !

Tell me in great detail about the door..is it wood or metal...is it natural finished wood or painted with a solid color paint.... how old is the door...are there recessed panels in the door or is it flat.

What quality of finish do you want, world class or just to spruce a bad situation up a bit?

Let me know, we can go from there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is metal. it is painted with a solid color now. The door is probably 18 years old. The paint is peeling off. And the frame is in bad shape too. The frame is wood. there are recessed panels.

I dont need a world class finish but a decent looking one.

Expert:  Phil replied 3 years ago.

Hello again, to get a decent job you will have to remove the door from the door frame and lay it flat on saw horses or on the garage floor etc.

Then use paint stripper to remove the old paint down to bare metal, then clean it off with lacquer thinner... then use 'naval gel' to neutralize any remaining rust... clean that off with lacquer thinner... then sand with 300 grit wet and dry sand paper.

Use the sand paper dry.

Then buy three cans of rustoleum primer to match the final color you choose, apply two coats... sand with 400 grit wet and dry sand paper lightly between coats. When dry apply two light coats of the final color you choose.

For the door frame use paint stripper to take it to bare wood, make any repairs necessary, then sand with 200 grit sand paper and apply two coats of 'KILLS brand oil base primer, stained to match the final coat you use.

Let me know what you think of that. we keep going until you have a complete answer.

There are no time limits here.