AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist
Experience:  35 years home improvement
53189252

After replacing rain sensor, I get no power to the sensor of

After replacing rain sensor, I get no power to the sensor or Toro TNC-212-ODH controller. What did I miss?
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX would be glad to assist.

What Model rain sensor are you connecting to the controller?

Do you have a tester to measure voltage at the terminals from the power supply?
If so, remove the sensor wires and measure the power supply before attaching the rain sensor.
Post results.

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rain sensor is a Hunter wireless rain sensor (WR_CLIK). I unplugged the unit, removed the wires from the old Irrital sensor, installed new wires according to Hunter manual, and plugged the system back into the power supply. The Toro Controller nor the sensor behave as thought there is power.

No, I do not have a voltage tester, Just know the power box is function as the Hunter irrigation and light sensors are functioning.
Ok, thanks.

On the left side of your controller, there are 3 sets of connections.

Top 2 are for a sensor.

Next 2 are for a pump relay and valve common

Last 2 are 24 volts

Confirm the following:

The yellow wires on the rain sensor receiver are connected to the
2 terminals marked 24VAC on the left side of the Toro?

The blue and white wires are connected to the Sensor terminals on the Toro?

The NC or NO switch is set for NC?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I can confirm the wiring and switch settings are as you described.
Ok, yours may be one of the models that requires using the sensor directly in line on the sprinkler valves.

So, do this just to verify all is ok with the controller before we change any wiring.

Disconnect the blue and white wires to the rain sensor receiver from the controller and see if the controller operates correctly.
Leave the 24 volts connected to the rain sensor receiver.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No luck - controller still not powering on.
Ok, thanks.

If the display is blank,
Something has happened to the controller.
Sounds like the main board has experienced a failure since the power supply appears to be functioning properly.

It could be possible that the power supply is not producting the needed 24 volts if the rain sensor is capable of turning on at a lower voltage, but that really is a long shot in the situation.
The controller needs the 24 volts, but it could be possible the rain sensor lights at much less.
In order to verify, a test would need to be performed and verify the voltage.
If 24v, the controller board has failed and if less, then a new power supply is needed.

Controller boards are too difficult to obtain, so changing complete controllers is what manufacturers recommend

TORO has a 3-5 year limited warranty on the product:
During such warranty period, we will repair or replace, at our option, any part
found to be defective. Your remedy is limited solely to the replacement or repair of
defective parts.
Return the defective part to your local Toro distributor, who may be listed in
your telephone directory Yellow Pages under "Irrigation Supplies" or "Sprinkler Systems,"
or contact The Toro Warranty Company P.O. Box 489, Riverside, California,
92502.
Phone(NNN) NNN-NNNNfor the location of your nearest Toro distributor or outside
the U.S., call(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>
One last check to do, is disconnect the rain sensor receiver yellow wires and see if the controller starts to function again.That would mean that the power supply is weak and cannot power both the units.
AssuredElectrical, Home Specialist
Experience: 35 years home improvement