The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
3079445

3 year old fridg blowing room temp air. Compresser is running.

3 year old fridg blowing room temp air. Compresser is running. We have it in a summmer trailer with no heat in winter. It seems to be running fine just not cold
Category: Home Improvement
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer.

What is the make and model number of the unit, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Frigidaire lftr1814lwo

Okay, Tami. Thank you

At the back of the unit is the compressor and condenser coils. Pull the unit out and see if both are warm. If the compressor is warm but the condenser coils are not then you have a low refrigernat condition. This will require that an EPA certified service come out and recharge the unit.

Unfortunately this will not be a DIY repair.

If both compressor and condenser coils are warm please let me know.

Please be sure to rate my service before you sign out.

Thank you.

Best, Smitty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The coils don't feel warm I'll have coolant put in it. Is this odd after only 3 years? You did a great job Smitty thanks I will leave excellent response

Yes it is odd, but there may be a reason that the refigerant leaked out.

When a unit is charged there is a small amount of lubricant included with the charge. The lubricant is only to keep the seals in the compressor from drying out. If a unit is left powered down for an extended period the seals can dry out and allow the refrigerant to leak. If that has happened here then the recharge will resolve the problem.

To keep the seals from drying out you might have a neighbor or care taker fire up the unit once a month just to circulate the lubricant and prevent this from happenoing in the future.

When the tech comes out to recharge the unit he can do a test to see where the refrigerant has leaked out. If nothing shows on the exterior componants then the leak was in the compressors seals.

The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience: #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The frige was never turned off

Then it is a hardware failure. Cracked tube, bad solder joint, etc.

The tech has leak detecting equipment and fluids he can put into the sealed system to locate the leak.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Smitty

You are welcome.

Please be sure to rate my service before you sign out tonight.

Thank you.

Tami, is there anything else I can help you with?
The Home Smithy, Home Builder