The Home Smithy, Home Builder
Experience:  #1 Home Improvement Expert 30+ years experience

1/2 hp chain driven door opener. Door will not always close

1/2 hp chain driven door opener. Door will not always close completely, stops part way and returns, like something is blocking the sensors, but nothing is.
If you push button, stopping it from moving up, hit it again, it will resume downward travel. Often it is necessary to do that 3 to 5 times to make it close completely.
I have tried just holding the button down and that seems to make the downward travel travel much longer, sometimes all the way, but not always.
What could be causing this? [email protected]

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer.

This is usually caused by a sensor light going out or simply a loose connection somewhere.

Check both lines going from the sensors to the main unit. If they are ok and the connections are tight then suspect one of them going out.

There are generic replacement sensor light kits available for a reasonable price at places like Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, and most hardware stores.

Unfortunately there isnt a test to prove that the lights are the prtoblem.

It has been my experience that when a door starts to act like this that it is the sensors 98% of the time.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Best, Smitty